19 Apr 2024, 13:16 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Sundowner
PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 09:40 

Post Likes: +19
Aircraft: Beech Sierra C24R
Want to thank the moderators for accepting me into this forum. PPL in 94 with about 80 hours. Kids grown. I am more than ready. Do not want to rent to get current. I know a Sundowner is slow. I get it. However, I am enamoured with a Bonanza, but realize I just don't have enough hours or would not get the insurance to have one just yet. I love Beeches. Dont know why, just do. Why is everyone trying to talk me out of a Sundowner when they are reported as great trainers, tanks on landing and roomier than anything Piper has, plus easier to get into? Why is everyone trying to get me into a 172 or an Archer? Is it resale? Are there avionics replacement Certification issues for the Sundowner? You folks are Beech experts and I am tired of listening to those that are not... this is why I joined this forum. Your reply is appreciated. -Marc. :bang:

Post subject: Re: Sundowner
PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 10:06 

Post Likes: +625
Aircraft: V35, C150
Hello Marc,
Welcome to BT!

I don’t have any info regarding your plane decision but you mentioned insurance and I have recent experience on that one.

You stated that you are leaning away from Bonanzas due to being low-time and getting insurance. I bought my first Bonanza about 3 years ago with only 92 hours TT and no retract time. There were two insurance companies that offered coverage.

One required 15 hours of dual and 10 hours solo and was around $1,700. Another required 10 dual only and was for $2,100. Airplane was valued at $44k.

If you really want a Bonanza, know you will be able to find coverage. I understand if you are wanting a plane with lower ownership or operating costs. I just didn’t want you to write off a dream plane thinking you wouldn’t find insurance at all.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 10:21 

Very kind and informative reply. Thank you!

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 11:13 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +458
Company: HPA
Aircraft: BE58, C182
Username Protected wrote:
Want to thank the moderators for accepting me into this forum. PPL in 94 with about 80 hours. Kids grown. I am more than ready. Do not want to rent to get current. I know a Sundowner is slow. I get it. However, I am enamoured with a Bonanza, but realize I just don't have enough hours or would not get the insurance to have one just yet. I love Beeches. Dont know why, just do. Why is everyone trying to talk me out of a Sundowner when they are reported as great trainers, tanks on landing and roomier than anything Piper has, plus easier to get into? Why is everyone trying to get me into a 172 or an Archer? Is it resale? Are there avionics replacement Certification issues for the Sundowner? You folks are Beech experts and I am tired of listening to those that are not... this is why I joined this forum. Your reply is appreciated. -Marc. :bang:

After 12 years of operating a 1982 Sundowner in the flying club we own/manage, I can tell you with all seriousness: Sundowners are great planes. I would not try to talk you out of it.

We also operate PA28s and a 172 in the same club. I think the 172 is a little easier to get into for anyone with a physical or movement issue, but the Sundowner is quite easy - step up, step down. Delight to fly, long range for a fixed-gear 180 hp single (60 gallons aboard), easy maintenance....

I've written other posts on our Sundowner experience - look in my prior posts.

Welcome to BT! Check out Beech Aero Club too.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 11:39 

This is the kind of feedback I need. Expert, experience. Thank you.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 11:42 

Post Likes: +417
Company: Michael Dunlevie PC
Aircraft: 1960 M35
I won't talk you out of it, instead I'll encourage you to go Sundowner. Like you, I left flying for many years. Once I returned I was like you, not wanting to rent and I tried a club which wasn't satisfactory. I could have interrupted the retirement contributions for the higher costs of that most desirable Bo, but chose only using available cash instead. Knowing insurance, etc. with only about a hundred hours would be much more in that Bo, I got a ride in a Sundowner and was hooked.

Only those that have not owned a Sundowner will tell you "Beech is expensive". Most parts are Lycoming 180 or easy to find with BT and BAC help. Sundowner was much less to build hours and after four years owning I've put more than 400 hours on my plane. My initial insurance with $30k hull was in the $800 range. With hours and further training it is now down in the $600's.

Slow, yes. But I love being up in the plane so I'm not in a rush to have a flight end. I've flowing from Alabama to Colorado, then Colorado to Utah, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, Oregon, and multiple trips from Colorado to Ohio, Missouri, Kentucky and Oshkosh. Every now and then ATC may call you out as a Bonanza. You won't correct them but you will smile.

Can you do the same? Yes! Will you move on to a Bo and regret your time in a Sundowner? No!

Whatever you do, keep getting information. BT you have done. For the Sundowner check out Beech Aero Club (http://www.beechaeroclub.org) as a great resource for the Musketeer line (info, parts, techniques and comraderie). BAC will encourage the Sundowner or even a Sierra (retract) like BT encourages Beech and is worth the $50 entry dues (if you don't agree and leave I'll guaranty your $50 back).

Sundowners may be slow and one reason why getting into one is cheaper. Know when you get out of the Sundowner you'll get out low too, just reality (with some market fluctuations along the way). But do it, get that plane and fly and build hours.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 15:22 

Post Likes: +1956
Hi Marc and welcome to BT.

Lots of people love their Sundowner,s. (okay, that sounds like an evening drink of some sort)

I don't know about Sundowner's personally. But in general I have found that the faster the plane goes, so too does the money. :lol:

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 15:49 

Post Likes: +1793
Aircraft: 1979 Sundowner
I also will not try to talk you out of a Sundowner as long as it fits your budget and mission. Yes, it may be slow, but only relative to other AC and not by as much as it may seem. I can still go NC yo upstate New York where my Wife's family is in less time door to door (including drive time, layover, security, etc) than the major carriers. We can visit the grandchildren in 1.5 hours vs a 4.5 hour drive. Besides, I enjoy flying and the slightly longer time in the air, especially in such a comfy cabin is more of an upside than downside.

Fuel consumption is low, maintenance is not too bad, parts can be found (JOIN THE BEECH AREO CLUB!!! http://www.beechaeroclub.org )

Some people will tell you that they are hard to land. These people are either people who have never flown one or are people who have very poor landing skills.

The Sundowner also makes a great IMC traveler. you can hand fly in solid IMC for hours w/o being exhausted and stabilized approaches are a breeze (provided properly equipped and proficient).

Purchase, maintenance, operating, and insurance costs are pretty low (again, relative to other AC). You can get a well maintained, well equipped Sundowner for much less that a ratted out 172.

One last thing: JOIN THE BEECH AREO CLUB!!! http://www.beechaeroclub.org

:cheers:

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 19:11 

Many thanks to you all for your responses today.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 20:24 

WWW  Profile

Slow, yes. But I love being up in the plane so I'm not in a rush to have a flight end. I've flowing from Alabama to Colorado, then Colorado to Utah, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, Oregon, and multiple trips from Colorado to Ohio, Missouri, Kentucky and Oshkosh. Every now and then ATC may call you out as a Bonanza. You won't correct them but you will smile.

Michael, tell me about the Sundowner at Eagle - how does it do in the mountains? When hot?

Will be back at EGE next month for a few days with a couple guys taking mountain flying courses. Would be good to meet you.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 20:26 

WWW  Profile

Many thanks to you all for your responses today.

What we're here for.

Where are you located? Bet one of us can get you airborne in a Sundowner.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 20:53 

Post Likes: +2875
Company: CSRA Document Solutions
800 hours in mine in 6 years. Works great for my missions. Join beechaeroclub.org lots of great info will save you lots of money and headache.

Good luck in your search. If you’re in the southeast US I’d be happy to take you up.

Peace,
Don

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 22:12 

Post Likes: +417
Company: Michael Dunlevie PC
Aircraft: 1960 M35
Michael, tell me about the Sundowner at Eagle - how does it do in the mountains? When hot?

Will be back at EGE next month for a few days with a couple guys taking mountain flying courses. Would be good to meet you.

Mountains? Go around them. I go KGWS-KRIL-KGJT to go west. To go north or east, I go IMSAF-UVTUH-IWECY-FAMKO-33V. For south, Tennessee Pass to KLXV, but only on the very best conditions (means rarely in summer).

Just like the Bo's, 182's, etc., the Sundowner struggles with high DA. I don't fly hot summer days, at least in the afternoons. Gets way too bumpy and as you'll hear in the course. I fly in the mornings, just enough fuel for destination and be down by noon, or at least out of the mountains by noon.

Let's meet up when you're here.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 07:34 

WWW  Profile

If you’re in the southeast US I’d be happy to take you up

Marc, same offer from me if you live in the upper midwest.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 12:07 

Post Likes: +1793
Aircraft: 1979 Sundowner

Marc,

Your post and the subsequent comments remind me a bit of someone who posted years ago about advice on a 1st AC and in particular the Sundowner: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59223&view=unread#unread .

I will add just this, I have heard many say "you should/should have bought a Bo/182/172/Cherokee/Mooney." I have not yet heard someone say "yeah, I bought a Sundowner/Musketeer and I really regretted that."

:cheers:

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next