banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 18:56 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: I'm flying a Bonanza whether my wife wants one or not!
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 13:12 

Post Likes: +16
Aircraft: V35B
Hi BeechTalk, I'm Bill. No, I'm not on my way to singlehood. I'm a 260 hour instrument rated pilot with about 25 in retractable. My wife is also a pilot, with about 140 hours, 1 retractable, working on her HP/CPLX and then IR. We are currently hunting a plane. One of the options, which we might fly tonight, is a 35N Bonanza V-tail. I joined this website so I could pick your collective brain. The other options are slower (Comanche 180) or fixed-gear (Grumman Tiger). My first choice is all three, and to start a flying club. Half serious. Our loan (for one airplane) is pre-approved and we are taking a look at all three by Monday hopefully. They are all local which does factor in, but we have looked in all the usual places too.

In any case, back to the title, an extra option is an existing flying club that has two F33A's already, along with a 182, an Arrow, and a Cherokee 180 for those days when you want to spend an hour or two in a 50nm radius of home. So in particular if we end up with the Grumman, not a bad option, I will join the flying club and have access to a couple of really sweet Bonanzas for long distance trips. This option is appealing largely because I think a Grumman Tiger would be a good platform for learning instrument, whereas a v-tail Bonanza with a throw-over yoke is probably overkill for that, and would substantially add to the workload while training.

On the plus side of just biting the Bo-llet, she would come out with a lot of Bo time and be trained in instrument for the airplane we would be flying. I personally believe if we don't get the Bonanza but I do join the club and we fly it enough, we will want one soon anyway. But patience with airplanes is a fantastic virtue, so hence my dilemma.

Last edited on 19 Apr 2019, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I'm flying a Bonanza whether my wife wants one or not!
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 13:15 

Post Likes: +3091
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Lots of great choices, there.

It's obvious you're in the RFC club, excellent club.

You just can't lose!

Keep us posted on where you go in this journey.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 13:17 

Post Likes: +6884
Aircraft: 1997 A36TN
I'm a big believer in training in the airplane you intend to fly (within pretty broad reason). For me, an N35 Bonanza (it's not a V35N) would be perfectly fine as an instrument trainer, especially if you and the wife intend to fly that plane down the road.

Is it going to be a little harder than a more stable, simpler airplane? Probably, but not significantly, and as you observe, that's good training in preparation for the purposeful use of the airplane.

If you want the airplane (and you have access to $25K or more for unexpected maintenance items that may crop up [this goes for nearly any airplane and won't even cover all the worst cases]), I say go for it.

I'm not able to make any specific comments on the airplane you're considering, of course. I would tend to buy something that's "done" the way you want it, rather than buying a project airplane and improving it over the years. (It's cheaper and faster to buy one done.)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 16:21 

Post Likes: +16
Aircraft: V35B
Username Protected wrote:
I'm a big believer in training in the airplane you intend to fly (within pretty broad reason). For me, an N35 Bonanza (it's not a V35N) would be perfectly fine as an instrument trainer, especially if you and the wife intend to fly that plane down the road.

Is it going to be a little harder than a more stable, simpler airplane? Probably, but not significantly, and as you observe, that's good training in preparation for the purposeful use of the airplane.

If you want the airplane (and you have access to $25K or more for unexpected maintenance items that may crop up [this goes for nearly any airplane and won't even cover all the worst cases]), I say go for it.

I'm not able to make any specific comments on the airplane you're considering, of course. I would tend to buy something that's "done" the way you want it, rather than buying a project airplane and improving it over the years. (It's cheaper and faster to buy one done.)

Fixed the misnomer. As for getting one the way I like it, this particular specimen lacks only a WAAS GPS, which isn't a huge upgrade, but does eat significantly into that reserve cash you mentioned. I guess we could live without it for a while since it is otherwise fully IFR equipped, but one loses a lot of approaches into small airports that way, and part of our mission is to explore Texas bit by bit. Another part is to go to Flagstaff regularly, which has a 7010 foot elevation, and the Bonanza would make cake of that; the others not so much. Other than that, I like steam gauges, and even ADFs, but the paint and interior are top notch so the panel is the only thing dated.

The guess about RFC was right; if you have now guessed I'm over 50 with the steam gauge preference, right again. In any case, as the other poster mentioned, everything's coming up roses so far.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]