28 Mar 2024, 06:41 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: New from New Orleans
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 15:13 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: Cessna 210
Not a pilot yet but I have a strong calling to begin my immersion into the world of GA. I’m 21, a senior at Tulane University, and a Political Science major. I’ll be heading to law school either next year or the year after. My dad was a pilot, and a pretty good one, from 1961 to his death a year and a half ago. He owned a 140, 170, 185, 2 P35s, partnered on an F33A, a B55, an A36, and a 210 which currently sits in the hangar at our house, which is at 66Y. He started flying when he was 29, but my goal is to be flying in four years from now. Flying and getting more advanced certifications were his favorite things to do, and I feel a strong desire to continue doing what he enjoyed and enjoy it myself. I consider myself lucky to have had such a strong exposure to GA in a time when its footprint continues to shrink even in the 90s and 00s when times seemed better.

I have a pretty expansive shade tree knowledge of planes, and I do a lot of automotive work and electronic fiddling in my free time, which helps my mechanical knowledge greatly. I own the hangar I’ll be using, which makes things a little more feasible. My little brother is working on his Bachelor of Commercial Aviation so he’ll have piston single and twin VFR/IFR credentials, and he’ll also be a CFI in addition to getting a business school education so free flight lessons hopefully. He’s talked about being a crop duster in the on months and an A&P on the off months. I’ve also talked to him about seaplanes, and he’s mentioned an interest in being a freighter pilot. I think pretty much anything except the airlines are on the map for him. I’d like to start with a 170 myself, but I’d settle for an early model 172. I’d consider getting into an N/P35 one day; those teardrop windows are the best, but I’d like to keep costs low to have money for my four-wheeled toys. When I get where I’m going, I plan to do all the work myself and get an A&P to review and endorse the logs. That’s what my old man did when he bought salvage yard planes (the B55) or hangar queens (1st P35). He paid his guy in Mexican food, but I doubt I’ll be so fortunate. Thanks for having me, folks! I’ll attach some pics of our old P35, N9679Y.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: New from New Orleans
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 15:56 

Post Likes: +14
Company: MicroVet Diagnostics
Aircraft: Bonanza V35B
:dancing:
Username Protected wrote:
Not a pilot yet but I have a strong calling to begin my immersion into the world of GA. I’m 21, a senior at Tulane University, and a Political Science major. I’ll be heading to law school either next year or the year after. My dad was a pilot, and a pretty good one, from 1961 to his death a year and a half ago. He owned a 140, 170, 185, 2 P35s, partnered on an F33A, a B55, an A36, and a 210 which currently sits in the hangar at our house, which is at 66Y. He started flying when he was 29, but my goal is to be flying in four years from now. Flying and getting more advanced certifications were his favorite things to do, and I feel a strong desire to continue doing what he enjoyed and enjoy it myself. I consider myself lucky to have had such a strong exposure to GA in a time when its footprint continues to shrink even in the 90s and 00s when times seemed better.

I have a pretty expansive shade tree knowledge of planes, and I do a lot of automotive work and electronic fiddling in my free time, which helps my mechanical knowledge greatly. I own the hangar I’ll be using, which makes things a little more feasible. My little brother is working on his Bachelor of Commercial Aviation so he’ll have piston single and twin VFR/IFR credentials, and he’ll also be a CFI in addition to getting a business school education so free flight lessons hopefully. He’s talked about being a crop duster in the on months and an A&P on the off months. I’ve also talked to him about seaplanes, and he’s mentioned an interest in being a freighter pilot. I think pretty much anything except the airlines are on the map for him. I’d like to start with a 170 myself, but I’d settle for an early model 172. I’d consider getting into an N/P35 one day; those teardrop windows are the best, but I’d like to keep costs low to have money for my four-wheeled toys. When I get where I’m going, I plan to do all the work myself and get an A&P to review and endorse the logs. That’s what my old man did when he bought salvage yard planes (the B55) or hangar queens (1st P35). He paid his guy in Mexican food, but I doubt I’ll be so fortunate. Thanks for having me, folks! I’ll attach some pics of our old P35, N9679Y.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 19:22 

Post Likes: +1954
Jesse, great intro, welcome to BT!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2020, 23:39 

Post Likes: +14
Company: MicroVet Diagnostics
Aircraft: Bonanza V35B
Jesse

Welcome to BT you need to become an ABS member you will love the magazine and all the people that surround themselves with ABS. I will be in your area very soon for work and I fly my plane everywhere I go so if you are free maybe we could get together and you can see another V35

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 14:38 

Post Likes: +1977
Company: Delta/ check o'the month club
Aircraft: 1968 Bonanza 36
Welcome Jesse. I live in uptown and have a Bonanza 36 at Lakefront. Happy to talk planes or go for a flight sometime if you need to get back in the air.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 14:55 

Post Likes: +313
Company: I am the company.
Aircraft: 1975 F33A
Welcome Jesse,

Fellow Tulane graduate....A&S 1983 & F33A Pilot. If you are ever in the Pensacola area PM me and we will fly. I go to NOLA several times a year....45 minute flight.

You're going to be fine and with your focus and age will excel in aviation more than most. Wish I was uptown on this hot summer day as I type this. Brunch at the High Hat and a snoball at Plum St. or Hansens....ahhhhh. Lived on Burthe St. for years. Worked downtown @ Poydras Plaza after graduation for several years....great times.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]