28 Mar 2024, 12:46 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Newcomer - Virginia - looking at a Beech
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 00:57 

Aircraft: B35
Hello,

Returning to the USA from another overseas assignment with the AF. I'm looking at a looming AF staff job and settling on buying a Bonanza as a great way to scratch an itch, plus allow me to travel from Williamsburg/Newport News to a lot of work locations ranging from Maxwell Al to Ohio.

So ... lots there. Anyone know a good Bonanza instructor near Camden SC or Williamsburg VA? (Esp one who is willing to work in the student's airplane.) Anyone have experience at Newport News/Suffolk or Williamsburg airports? Anyone ever go into Hyde executive near DC (planning on taking the course, but not sure if that's a drive or fly trip).

And why do I want this - because I love to fly, and its time to start taking the kids to the FBO and getting them hooked. I've got spreadsheet math that tells me this isn't too crazy and a wife who is OK with it. The timing seems right!

Post subject: Re: Newcomer - Virginia - looking at a Beech
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 07:55 

Post Likes: +1954
Hi Jeremy and welcome!
Spreadsheets, like statistics, are great things. They can make almost anything look okay. :pilot:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 08:08 

Post Likes: +542
Company: U.S. Army (Retired)
Aircraft: CL65, CL30, CL35
Jeremy,

Welcome home and happy hunting. I always loved looking at planes, even when I already own one... :rofl:

If you want to see a straight tail Bo, just let me know and I can hop down to one of the airports of your choice. Had a Mooney before the current bird, so can give you some feedback on both.

Getting into Hyde will take a lot more paperwork than just the online course. You'll need a specific pin number after you've cleared the background check hurdle. Shouldn't be hard since you already have a clearance. Just paperwork and time.

I'd be more inclined to land at Stafford Regional and get a rental car for the final drive to D.C. I'm heading to Eisenhower at Fort McNair in August, but will still keep my plane based at KFCI if that's any indication of hangar availability... :tape: :rofl:

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited on 05 Jun 2018, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 09:47 

Post Likes: +3066
Aircraft: 1965 Debonair C33
Jeremy,

Contact the American Bonanza Society BPPP program for local instructors.

Good luck in your quest to find an airplane.

Buy one in good condition.

Do not buy one that has been sitting.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 00:36 

Username Protected wrote:
Jeremy,

I'd be more inclined to land at Stafford Regional and get a rental car for the final drive to D.C. I'm heading to Eisenhower at Fort McNair in August, but will still keep my plane based at KFCI if that's any indication of hangar availability... :tape: :rofl:

Cheers,
Brian

Awesome first hand SA Brian. BTW, congrats on Eisenhower. Great opportunity and a great school (from what I've heard - no first hand knowledge).

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 00:40 

Jeremy,

Thanks for the point out. I'm plenty current in my jet, but looking to hire an instructor to not only get me into a Bonanza, but also back into the swing of General Aviation. The one I'm looking at is a flyer. Our jets are the same way. No plane likes to sit. (Neither do pilots.)

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 12:01 

Post Likes: +207
Company: N/A
Aircraft: Beechcraft F-35
Jeremy,

Welcome home and happy hunting. I always loved looking at planes, even when I already own one... :rofl:

If you want to see a straight tail Bo, just let me know and I can hop down to one of the airports of your choice. Had a Mooney before the current bird, so can give you some feedback on both.

Getting into Hyde will take a lot more paperwork than just the online course. You'll need a specific pin number after you've cleared the background check hurdle. Shouldn't be hard since you already have a clearance. Just paperwork and time.

Cheers,
Brian

I am based in the DC area. Getting the PIN number is not a big deal but it does take time. You can call Stan at Hyde for the details. Also the PIN gives you access to College Park which is very close to the subway. For convenience sake and not having to deal with the FRZ I would go to Gaithersburg. Short Uber to Metro and it is in the SFRA no special pin needed. Stafford is nice but it is way down 95 and traffic in this area is absolutely insanely terrible. Depending on the time of day you are looking at up to 2 hours to get to DC.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 12:08 

Post Likes: +207
Company: N/A
Aircraft: Beechcraft F-35
Jeremy,

Thanks for the point out. I'm plenty current in my jet, but looking to hire an instructor to not only get me into a Bonanza, but also back into the swing of General Aviation. The one I'm looking at is a flyer. Our jets are the same way. No plane likes to sit. (Neither do pilots.)

Mike brings up two points, if you are buying a Bonanza join the ABS if you have not already, best money you will ever spend. As he said they also have qualified instructors who know the ins and outs of the Bonanza. They are very easy airplanes to fly if you understand what you are doing with them. An instructor well versed in the Bonanza will get you up to speed much faster with less headaches.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 13:35 

Post Likes: +379
Aircraft: Bonanza J35
Welcome home, and thank you for your service!

Good luck in your search!

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 01:59 

Post Likes: +8782
Aircraft: A36
Can't help you with the instructor question, but you have a great bonanza mechanic close by. Nate Steigenga and his business Naviation at Hampton Executive Airport has treated us very well. I would give him a call, he may have some referrals for instructors.

As for flying into DC, getting the PIN for the 'Maryland 3' airports has gotten a bit less buerocratic in recent years. I believe they dropped the 'FSDO interview' and you can do the fingerprints at any 'TSA clearinghouse' location. Check with the security coordinator at one of the three airports. Hyde or Potomac get you within Taxi/Uber range of the district, from College Park you can just take the subway. Depending on where you have to go, either Gaithersburg or Fort Meade can be good options. I happen to be based at 2W5 due south from DC. Nice little strip in the SFRA. For ground transportation Enterprise will drop a car if you need one.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]