16 Apr 2024, 13:20 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: New PPL looking for advice on first plane
PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 15:46 

Hey all:

First post here.

I passed my check ride for my private pilot earlier this month. Have been trying to fly weekly renting from my instructor and just finding time on the Warrior to be at a minimum. It's either being used to train, in the shop, weather, etc. Have about 70+ hours under my belt, so very much a newbie. Have the ability to make a plane purchase and have been trying to take my time with the research, ride in others planes, learn from other pilots, etc.

I know I am talking to a biased crowd (and am ok with that), but think I have narrowed down the field to a Bonanza A36, Cirrus SR20 or Cessna/Columbia 350 (and maybe Piper Saratoga) type of planes. I know these are somewhat different. I do not have kids but I could see down the road my wife and I wanting to travel with another couple. So I know useful load may be challenging with any fuel to go places with 4 adults in the latter 2.

I do plan on working on my Instrument rating and was curious to hear your thoughts on whether it is a dumb idea to buy a plane or partner on a plane before doing your IR. I could see some benefits of learning Instruments on the plane you will actually fly IFR.

Also as a follow up question, are there any other planes I should be looking at as a first purchase? Trying to stay at or around (or below) 250k.

I think my typical mission and other details for the next few years are below but let me know if I am missing anything.

1. My wife and I traveling at a minimum (could bring a safety pilot) and or another couple for weekend getaways
2. I am a big guy. 6'5" and about 230 lbs so need space in the cockpit. Wife is 130lbs.
3. Most missions under 300 Nm. We are located in Louisiana. But probaly no desire to go much further than 600 Nm at a time.
4. Appreciate technology in the cockpit but also know I am not getting G1000s in my first plane :)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Kyle

Post subject: Re: New PPL looking for advice on first plane
PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 16:07 

Post Likes: +5303
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
If you make it out to SE Georgia, I'd be glad to take you up in my PA32. It's no Bonanza, but what it lacks in speed, it makes up for in comfort, CG range and useful load. It's the suburban of the 6 seat single world.

I flew a Buddies Cirrus and it was great. But look closely at total cost of ownership, not just curb pricing. Cirrus annuals are breathtaking sometimes.

Shocking, I've never flown in a Bo! But I wouldn't turn down a ride either!

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 16:13 

Post Likes: +497
Aircraft: 1997 Bonanza A36
At your size I would suggest at least sitting in all the planes you are considering before deciding. Being comfortable in the cockpit is important. I am happy with my A36, but I am only 6 ft and 170 lbs. one of the tallest guys I ever saw get out of a plane was a cirrus. He told me that was the only one that fit.

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 16:56 

Post Likes: +1250
Username Protected wrote:
If you make it out to SE Georgia, I'd be glad to take you up in my PA32. It's no Bonanza, but what it lacks in speed, it makes up for in comfort, CG range and useful load. It's the suburban of the 6 seat single world.

I flew a Buddies Cirrus and it was great. But look closely at total cost of ownership, not just curb pricing. Cirrus annuals are breathtaking sometimes.

Jeff, I no longer have my Bo, but I can get you a ride in a Baron. :thumbup: :cheers:

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 17:21 

Post Likes: +2935
Aircraft: 1991 Baron 58
Given your mission, the Saratoga fits the bill. You and your wife plus 50 baggage eat up 410 pounds so most 4 sweaters will not take another couple and gas. It also has a generous cabin.

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 17:21 

Post Likes: +11403
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
Four adults, one of whom weighs 230#, disqualifies the Cirrus. Not sure about the Columbia. Can you get one for $250k?

If I'm flying four adults, I want an A36, a Cessna 206, a Lance/Saratoga, or a Cherokee 6, in that order.

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 17:36 

Four adults, one of whom weighs 230#, disqualifies the Cirrus. Not sure about the Columbia. Can you get one for $250k?

If I'm flying four adults, I want an A36, a Cessna 206, a Lance/Saratoga, or a Cherokee 6, in that order.

Had a pilot at my local airport who was selling a 2007 Columbia 350 with 1600 hours TT/SMOH with G1000s for 240k. Was upgrading to a light jet.

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 17:45 

YIM  Profile

Post Likes: +1183
Company: Leopold Aero, LLC
Aircraft: 1978 Baron E55
I'd say buy a Cirrus SR22 or that Columbia, and get some hours in the air, get the wife acquainted with trips to assess how much she likes it, and work on getting an instrument rating. Meanwhile, plan on eventually moving up to a twin at some point for the extra payload and space to accommodate a potential future family. :)

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 20:11 

Post Likes: +225
Aircraft: Debonair C33A
Kyle,

Welcome and congrats! And excellent questions.

There are plenty of comments about specific airplanes, so let me offer my opinion on a couple of other points.

Keep moving forward in your IFR ticket, while watching the market. Don't be in a hurry. More PIC time and experience is alway worthwhile, and better to help reduce insurance cost.

Consider sitting in every reasonable airplane you see with a "For Sale" sign in the window. See how it fits you. I've had some orthopedic challenges of the years. Not only should you fit well inside, but consider the ease of getting in and out. We have a 182 and a Debonair, and without a doubt, entry and exit is easier in the Cessna. My wife continues to point that out, at almost every opportunity.

Just my $0.02.

Tim

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 20:47 

Post Likes: +5303
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T

Jeff, I no longer have my Bo, but I can get you a ride in a Baron. :thumbup: :cheers:

That's extremely dangerous! I might want one afterwards! :ohno:

Thanks for the offer. I just might take you up on that one since are not too far apart!

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 20:56 

Post Likes: +6442
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
On the desktop site version of BT, click on the MENTORS link and find someone nearby

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 21:04 

Post Likes: +1765
Aircraft: Piper Saratoga
I have a fixed gear Saratoga with 1400 useful. Club seating is the bomb for taking pax. At 148 knots TAS it’s not the fastest among the options but my plane was about half your budget of $250k too.

Any of the options you mention would work.

One you didn’t mention is a Dakota. It limits you to four seats but with 260hp you can stuff that thing to the gills and be under gross. A super nice Dakota would be well under budget as well.

PostPosted: 26 May 2018, 08:06 

Post Likes: +1256
Aircraft: '81 Baron 58
Kyle, great post and welcome to the club! Here’s my 2 cents.
Roll right into your instrument training and continue to rent. You’ve got another 40-60 hours of mission right out in front of you. Find a salty instructor for instrument training and take the extra time to go into and out of airports big and small. Land New Orleans, taxi, shutdown, file, get clearance, exit on a departure procedure. Fly into hobby in Houston in imc with your instructor when you’re at that stage.
Spend your next 100 hrs ‘grinding’... there is so much cool technical stuff you’re about to learn. Learning to fly straight and level with foggles on sweating at 3000’ is only a small part of becoming a pilot that is competent to take friends and family on a 500NM Trip.

You want to own your own plane and use it to share with friends and family to travel... that is awesome! That’s what I do and it’s really my favorite part of GA.

Selecting and purchasing an airplane is another set of learning experiences. The instrument training and desire to really immerse yourself into the technical aspects of IFR flying are right there and will keep you very busy if you do it the way I describe. Don’t just punch your ifr ticket....dig deep w a good instructor and when the clouds are low...get your instructor -it’s time to go.

If you must scratch the itch of airplane ownership (hey..I get it!), go find your mechanic first. Who do you have available near by? Not a shade tree oil changer but someone you can meet, trust, cuss and discuss.... then, when you find him, tell him your on the hunt. He likely has planes he works on with owners that are in the market...finding a good mechanic that has knowledge of a plane already can really help a first time buyer.

Lastly... just be warned... you probably thought that 172 was the coolest plane your ever saw when you started training. Now, 70hrs later, cirrus sounds like a winner. When your experience level matches your wallet, you’ve found you’re last plane....it happens to all of us. Beware, you’re at 70 hrs. That’s why I say focus hardcore on training and real world ifr for the next 100. When you’re done, you might find that 3 seater cirrus with no baggage capacity is a little light in capacity now that you want to take you’re wife and another couple to south Florida for the weekend... ‘here, can I put this in your lap ...it’s only for the next three hours’ - cirrus won’t look as cool as it does on the ramp when you bought it. I fly about 140 hrs a year, 80% or the time with 3-4 in the plane... baron58 is the workhorse solution for my profile. A 4 seater has way too many compromises... it’s bad enough be bounced around imc, unpressureized, for hours with non GA passengers... at least they have leg room and can stretch out.

Good luck!
Chad

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]