Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: A belated intro
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018, 22:00 

Post Likes: +3816
Aircraft: Club Archer
All,

A little late posting an intro as I have had some premature first posts. Good news though! I spoke to my Dr. and premature posting apparently isn’t a condition that disqualifies me from basic med so I have that going for me.

The things I’ve learned from Beechtalk have really given me some great insights and motivation from the mundane like what ANR headset to buy (I went Bose) to what the options are for future trips and simply too many other things to cover.

I really wanted to wait until the PPL to post this but I think I need to ask some questions and I wanted the learned folks here to have a little background for context so here it is.

Grew up with an aviation family. Grandfather flew for Eastern from 52-82 (Martin 404 to A300). My Dad was a private pilot but quit when we moved from Pittsburgh to Chicago as the $10 an hour for a 152 or Ercoupe was too outrageous. :eek: He went back to models and I grew up flying model airplanes of all sorts (indoor, free flight, control line, R/C).

Started the private in 1984 flying the mighty Tomahawk (and the Warrior occasionally) from Franklin Flying field in Franklin IN and then some at Muncie IN when I could scrape together a little money. As I look back a lot of .3 and .4 events in the logbook as $30 an hour was a LOT of money for a college kid to pay for flying and not school. Accumulated 43 hours and almost everything including X/C and really in 10 more hours I could have likely finished but the money just was not there despite working multiple jobs (pretty sure I still have White Castle grease in my pores).

Graduated undergrad in 86, joined the Navy as a Naval Flight officer (very bad vision – glasses since 5th grade). Ended up as an Electronic Countermeasure Officer in EA-6B Prowlers and flew 20 years between active and Reserve. 6 deployments, 2400 hours 2200 in Prowlers and a couple hundred in a mixed bag of others (T-34C, T-2B, T-47A, TA-4J, S-3B and F/A-18B and D). Retired from the Reserves in 2007. Dedicated more time to my engineering career with one of the FFRDC companies you’ve likely have heard of.

Career is matured and while I don’t miss the Navy I have missed flying every day. My wife finally had enough. “You look up at every airplane. You have the time; you have the money go fly!”. She’s seen through me for 20 years and who am I to disobey? I did that time/money ratio we all seek and it balanced out. Did the Sporty’s course on my iPad during deer camp and airliners and a duck hunting trip to Canada and took it in Dec so it was out of the way of flying.

I’ve been flying with an FBO at Frederick MD since mid-Jan and it’s been a mixed experience. Enough said for an intro post at this point as that may come up with later info I’m seeking. Solo came at 12 hours and all the things I did as an NFO (we flew as a co-pilot much of the time without stick on our side but we did all the comms/nav and such) has come back quickly, comms, aviation and just general air sense. I’ve even found UAs under the hood fun as blast back to my past but some how roll to nearest horizon always seems to be right side up in a 172. Odd. :scratch:

Not a lot else to say at this point. I am heading down to Texas March 7-11 for a little pig hunting (the hunting trip is little, the pigs are not) and if there are still issues with progress the way I want when I get back I’ll post and seek the expert advice I’ve seen from the members (scratch that, family) here.

Is there a V-tailed time machine in my future? Magic 8-Ball says check back later. Given the wait for hangars at any local airport here I don’t see buying until later and an excellent local club is in the process of buying another 172 and has said they would be happy to have me when they get that done. We are here in MD for another 5 years until retirement and the plan is to retire to a lake in central NH near enough to Laconia that it will be my home airport. At that point I’ll do the mission analysis and see what works best. A friend’s son in law, a Mooney spy on Beechtalk, is already telling me that women swoon at reverse tails but then I have a great wife already so he’s not convinced me yet.

I know how much "pictures or it didn't happen" are valued here and I have no pictures of tip tanks, or cowl shots or even me and SWMBO at some exotic location we flew to. All I have is a few shots of an airplane obsessed kid who (sort of) grew up is really glad to be here and getting back into flying. I’ve missed it badly.

Last edited on 26 Feb 2018, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A belated intro
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018, 22:10 

Post Likes: +1954
Allen, welcome to BT, great post and pictures, thanks! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018, 22:27 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1857
Company: Jcrane, Inc.
Aircraft: C441, RV7A
Welcome Allen!
Thank you for your service.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 09:48 

Post Likes: +35
Aircraft: B58
Hi Allen,

Great introduction and good pictures!

Welcome to BeechTalk and thank you for your service to our country! Also, to your grandfather's service in the airline industry as a rEAL pilot.

I have found the knowledge bank from our BeechTalk members to be invaluable! Ask a question and they have the answer!!

All the best,

Rusty

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 11:07 

Post Likes: +2601
Aircraft: A320
It took my brain a second to process you posting with your actual name vs callsign.

Welcome!

Master.

The canuck is hiding around here somewhere too.

A320 Type 02/2022

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 12:59 

Username Protected wrote:
It took my brain a second to process you posting with your actual name vs callsign.

Welcome!

Master.

The canuck is hiding around here somewhere too.

Yep, been cyber stalking you guys here too! you were easy!

Thanks for the welcome folks.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 19:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1507
Company: BeechFlyIn.com
Aircraft: 1971 Bonanza A36
Great post Allen. Welcome home.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 21:05 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: V35 Bonanza
Welcome to BT Allen! :clap:

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 09:14 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +378
Company: Victory 1 Performance
Aircraft: C501SP
Welcome aboard Allen....many thanks for your service!!!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 09:51 

Post Likes: +2677
Company: Air Mass Aviation
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36
Welcome Allen!

Scott Massios CFI/CFII

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 15:15 

Post Likes: +41
Aircraft: Bonanza B35
Ended up as an Electronic Countermeasure Officer in EA-6B Prowlers and flew 20 years between active and Reserve. 6 deployments, 2400 hours 2200 in Prowlers and a couple hundred in a mixed bag of others (T-34C, T-2B, T-47A, TA-4J, S-3B and F/A-18B and D).

Career is matured and while I don’t miss the Navy I have missed flying every day. My wife finally had enough. “You look up at every airplane. You have the time; you have the money go fly!”. She’s seen through me for 20 years and who am I to disobey?
Solo came at 12 hours and all the things I did as an NFO (we flew as a co-pilot much of the time without stick on our side but we did all the comms/nav and such) has come back quickly, comms, aviation and just general air sense.

Welcome to the fantastic world of Beechcraft. I'm sure you have found that the government flying that you have done is a big asset, when compared to those that start flying with only ladder experience under their belt. You evidently have a perceptive and noble wife, that will understand when you arrive home in a Bonanza. Congratulations, press on and stay safe.

PostPosted: 24 May 2018, 14:54 

Post Likes: +8745
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*
Any updates, Allen? :pilot:

PostPosted: 24 May 2018, 16:36 

Username Protected wrote:
Any updates, Allen? :pilot:

Jim asks knowingly :lol:

Yes, in what is surely a sign of the demise of any credibility of standards in the FAA, I completed my PPL check ride today. You've all now been warned that I'm out there! :roll:

It's been an interesting and fun evolution and the weather has been against me so it took 5months with lots of lost events and some vacations from both me and the instructor. I had budgeted $10K for it and came in at $7500 but then I added in two Bose headsets and another iPad. *sigh* AMUs indeed. :sad:

The ride was originally scheduled for 1 May but there were some "irregularities" with IACRA paperwork (not of my doing) that I won't highlight here but resulted in my wife calling me "sky pirate" for a short period of time which she thought was hilarious. The FBO made it right so no need to tell that tale except over a beer.

So on to flying! Looking forward to it. A local club based out of GAI appears to want me and they have a nice selection to fly - 2X172, 1X182, 1X182RG and an RV-12 so that will give me plenty of growth room and some nice platforms to work on the instrument which I'll begin this fall. Likely I'll do some of that locally then look to finish it up at some FL school near my parents in Tampa next winter (as well as a good reason for Dad and I to catch some Snook)

Again, another shout out to beech talk. A fine community that really represents the best of GA as well as serving as a virtual crack dealer for the Beech products. If this works out like I suspect, and SWMBO realizes that my personal TSA requires both large bottles of liquids and firearms be aboard and handy ;) , then this will become our personal mode of transport. Then you'll see me looking for a good pre-buy on a V-Tailed time machine.

Last edited on 24 May 2018, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 May 2018, 17:01 

Post Likes: +5181
Company: Mayo Clinic
Aircraft: Planeless in RST
Congratulations on your PPL, welcome aboard and thank you for your service!
No go and fly!
And....if you’re going Beech.... plan on your IR.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]