banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 17:21 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Hey from the Philly area (S. Jersey)
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 11:52 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +51
Company: Jet Test and Transport
Aircraft: Aerostar600, CE550
Hey all,

LOVE this site... Great info and great resources! I've been flying for 22 years. 4 airlines (ugh) ATP with B737, B777, A320, A330, A340, DC-9, DHC-8, and CE-500 PIC ratings. I've got about 18,000 Hours TT, 9,000 of which is on the MD-80 (double-ugh). Also flew the 402 for Cape Air 15 years ago, the 208B for Martinaire in the late 90s, and an extremely miserable short stint on the SF340 on a furlough job.. Anyway, I left the airlines in 2014.....

I now own and operate Jet Test and Transport (www.jettest.aero) now, call sign "JTN" (fully self employed), and also have a leasing/trading company called 30West (www.30west.aero) that owns 3 B767-300ERs. I also own a significant share in, and sit on the board of, an MRO on the E. Coast. Jet Test is a worldwide aircraft ferry/test/delivery company that moves large transport category aircraft worldwide. We do about 250 ops a year all over the world in all the Boeings, Airbus, DHC, the odd DC-9/MD80, and most of the CRJs and E-Jets. I've flown (and regularly fly) into/out of all 6 continents, cross most of the worlds oceans, and do it with no nav database, inop CPDLC, and carry a 796/stratus! Lol... It gets interesting sometimes.

I 1/3 own a 1981 Citation II and have a single-pilot check out on it. I've had some fun times with it, but when it boils down - I HATE it. Its a MX hog, its slow for the $$, something's always broken, and I'm dreading a pair of engine overhauls in the next 18 months. Probably putting it on the market (or may push it off into the ocean)...

I've never owned a light piston G.A. aircraft before - but I'm getting the bug! With the exception of the Citation, I have been out of GA for a long-ass time.

I commute up and down the E Coast pretty regularly and want a 4-5 place aircraft that I can both commute in, and throw the family in and do some Caribbean flying a few times a year. For a variety of reasons, I'm pretty confident that my next airplane will be a Beechcraft and I'm considering a B58P or a B60 for the space, the pressurization, and the performance. I'm a bit concerned about the TIO-541 engines (cost wise) on the Duke. Anyway, I intend to read, post, and pick all your brains a bunch in the coming 2-3 months as I go through the process of finding and buying one....

Nice to be here! :peace:

Steve

Post subject: Re: Hey from the Philly area (S. Jersey)
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 12:04 

Post Likes: +82
Aircraft: K35, C140A
Username Protected wrote:
Hey all,

LOVE this site... Great info and great resources! I've been flying for 22 years. 4 airlines (ugh) ATP with B737, B777, A320, A330, A340, DC-9, DHC-8, and CE-500 PIC ratings. I've got about 18,000 Hours TT, 9,000 of which is on the MD-80 (double-ugh). Also flew the 402 for Cape Air 15 years ago, the 208B for Martinaire in the late 90s, and an extremely miserable short stint on the SF340 on a furlough job.. Anyway, I left the airlines in 2014.....

I now own and operate Jet Test and Transport (http://www.jettest.aero) now, call sign "JTN" (fully self employed), and also have a leasing/trading company called 30West (http://www.30west.aero) that owns 3 B767-300ERs. I also own a significant share in, and sit on the board of, an MRO on the E. Coast. Jet Test is a worldwide aircraft ferry/test/delivery company that moves large transport category aircraft worldwide. We do about 250 ops a year all over the world in all the Boeings, Airbus, DHC, the odd DC-9/MD80, and most of the CRJs and E-Jets. I've flown (and regularly fly) into/out of all 6 continents, cross most of the worlds oceans, and do it with no nav database, inop CPDLC, and carry a 796/stratus! Lol... It gets interesting sometimes.

I 1/3 own a 1981 Citation II and have a single-pilot check out on it. I've had some fun times with it, but when it boils down - I HATE it. Its a MX hog, its slow for the $$, something's always broken, and I'm dreading a pair of engine overhauls in the next 18 months. Probably putting it on the market (or may push it off into the ocean)...

I've never owned a light piston G.A. aircraft before - but I'm getting the bug! With the exception of the Citation, I have been out of GA for a long-ass time.

I commute up and down the E Coast pretty regularly and want a 4-5 place aircraft that I can both commute in, and throw the family in and do some Caribbean flying a few times a year. For a variety of reasons, I'm pretty confident that my next airplane will be a Beechcraft and I'm considering a B58P or a B60 for the space, the pressurization, and the performance. I'm a bit concerned about the TIO-541 engines (cost wise) on the Duke. Anyway, I intend to read, post, and pick all your brains a bunch in the coming 2-3 months as I go through the process of finding and buying one....

Nice to be here! :peace:

Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the group! Sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge and flight time! I am semi-local to you in Annapolis. If you ever want to fly a Bonanza, let me know. Mine is older, but will show you how most of the smaller Beechcraft handle. From what I have flown, it flies just like the Baron and Beech 18 (minus an engine).

The B58P is an awesome airplane, but I have always heard they are mx and runway hogs. I do not have any first hand knowledge on this as I have only ever seen them, not flown them.

The Duke is a great machine, especially the later model ones. They too can be higher on the maintenance side from what I hear but the people who own them, LOVE them. If I had the means, I would buy a Turbine Duke. The performance numbers on them are just out of this world, and they look great too!

Can't wait to see what you decide on!

-Warren Oxman

Post subject: Re: Hey from the Philly area (S. Jersey)
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 12:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +51
Company: Jet Test and Transport
Aircraft: Aerostar600, CE550
Thanks Warren...

Yeah, I wish my wife would allow me to "support" another turbine aircraft, but at 40 Years old, I've been investing my cash into the businesses and am not yet ready to support that kind of operating expense myself...Hopefully SOME day! I have 2 partners on the Citation and we've shoveled over 150K on to the coals in the last 6 months for a phase check - something that would get me killed at home if it were fully on me :bugeye:

I want to be able to fly my next airplane and not have constant heartburn with major 25-50K expenses around every corner... I think the 300-500/hour all-in operating range would be good for me. I'm at about $1200/hour on the Jet and thats only because I fly it myself and I own part of an MRO!

I'm not used to worrying about terrain and weather clearance, so pressurization would be a nice security blanket for me... I've considered a single, but I intend to operate over-water a good bit - so until I can comfortably take-on the up-front cost of a PT6 powered single, I'm sticking with twins...

I love the Duke - its such a nice mix of everything I could want. I intend to pick the brains of B60 owners about maintenance (esp those rare motors). The Baron is such a proven and solid platform though, and I feel like I'd be thrilled with a B58P too... Anyway, I'm looking forward to the whole process - AND getting reacquainted and comfortable with flying smaller planes again. I fully realize that my experience is completely different from the skills I'll need to rebuild in this adventure!

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]