Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: New forum member and potential F35 buyer
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 23:23 

Post Likes: +448
Aircraft: F35
Hi all,

Glad to find this forum.. Lots of great info here and even if I don't buy I might stick around just in case!

Long story short I'm considering a 1955 F35 that's been owned by an A&P friend of mine for the last 30+ years. Ironically, I was not looking to buy any planes because I'm trying to finish up the final touches on my homebuilt vans RV-9A.

Well, the wife wants more room and says we'll need those extra seats soon... so the price seems right although the age does raise an eyebrow.
About the plane:
The plane seems to be well cared for, with an upgraded IO-470 engine/prop and upgraded panel without the "piano keys". 7000-ish hours and 900+ lbs useful. Seems good on paper.

About me:
I've always liked the unique look of the v-tail bonanzas, my first encounter with the was at the Los Alamos, NM airport during my private pilot training. If you don't know what I'm referring to.. 2 v-tails landed on top of each other. What are the odds!? If you don't know the story: https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.avia ... 21A&akey=1

After I got my PPL, I took several years off (5+) until I got back into rentals and just became disgusted with the price to rent. That set me off on the experimental RV world and I jumped head first into that... unfortunately I'm not the fastest builder and now I need the extra seats! During the build I didn't fly nearly enough to be current. I'll mostly be taking shorter ~500 mile trips out of the DFW area. I'd also like to get my instrument rating.

My 3 concerns is that the Bo would be a lot of plane for me, the annual maint cost, and the safety of an older plane. However, I am obviously a hands-on guy so I'm hoping that the A&P offer to do owner-assisted annuals will take some of the sting out of the cost, but I'm still leery of part costs. I'm also "nervous" to take the transition training in my own plane instead of a rental... but there's a local ABS guy who I think can offer the training. There seems to be a lot of these older models still flying, and the two planes that landed on top of each other seems to make me think that the model is more rugged than I give it credit for.

I guess these things can be overcome, but if anyone has any good advice on getting into an older model (and also learning to fly it) I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Chris

Post subject: Re: New forum member and potential F35 buyer
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 06:13 

Post Likes: +1248
Aircraft: '81 Baron 58
Welcome Chris!

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 06:53 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1718
Since you are considering an early bonanza, you need to learn about what you are getting into. There is a book on the American bonanza society website (bonanza.org) threat you need to get a copy of. The book isn’t Lew Gage.

I’m a fan of the early Bonanzas, but I have to admit that owning one requires the owner to understand the maintenance side of things. You will also need a good mechanic that knows the issues with the oldies. Much of this is covered in the book.

Remember- if you move forward, pics will be required here!

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 07:08 

Post Likes: +890
Aircraft: 1966 Bonanza V35
Welcome to BT Chris, your wife is a smart woman, she instinctively knows there are no better planes than a Bonanza. :D :thumbup:

Sounds like you have a chance to buy a nice one, Lew Gage’s book is a great asset for the older Bonanzas. :cheers:

“Only thing better than a Bonanza is 2 Bonanzas"

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 08:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1678
Company: airline has-been
Aircraft: 1956 Bonanza 35
Greetings Chris,
Just remember to put your gear down, and the rest will be very easy to learn. You will enjoy the feather-touch responsiveness, which has its trade-offs when flying IFR. You don't mention the price or where you are from. If you were in my neck of the woods, I would offer to fly with you and tell you what I know to watch out for when purchasing an older Bonanza. I believe a current owner could provide more insight than an unfamiliar mechanic, but I like the airplane you describe because it has not been sitting too much.

A common theme I have noticed is the pilot who is surprised by the value of a particular find when it comes to older V-tails. The family selling and the unsuspecting looker both assume they go for more money than what is being discussed. It is common to find an airworthy E-series below 30K. More typically they are in the 30s, and they can be north of 50K if really tricked out. One guy I know bought the proverbial diamond in the rough for 14K and it was a good airplane.

Again, I like the history of the airplane you describe. An education is in order on magnesium tail feathers, W&B, panel upgrade barriers, types of props, fuel cells, extra tanks, autopilots, to name a few. BT has been my main resource for learning about these issues. If I can't find it with the search engine, I just ask. The occasional jerk will tell you try the search engine, like you didn't think of that, but most will be very helpful.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 09:12 

Post Likes: +6969
Username Protected wrote:
Since you are considering an early bonanza, you need to learn about what you are getting into. There is a book on the American bonanza society website (bonanza.org) threat you need to get a copy of. The book isn’t Lew Gage.

I’m a fan of the early Bonanzas, but I have to admit that owning one requires the owner to understand the maintenance side of things. You will also need a good mechanic that knows the issues with the oldies. Much of this is covered in the book.

Remember- if you move forward, pics will be required here!

There is a BIG divide between an E series A model and an IO470 F model. Maintenance should not be different than any later model Bo. with that motor.

I owned an IO470 F35 for a decade. Sweet flying, extremely reliable, efficient, fast.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 10:36 

Username Protected wrote:
There is a BIG divide between an E series A model and an IO470 F model. Maintenance should not be different than any later model Bo. with that motor.

I owned an IO470 F35 for a decade. Sweet flying, extremely reliable, efficient, fast.

Jesse, that's good to hear! That's exactly what I'm looking for and I can fly right now! Any big ticket items I should look out for (or plan for?)

Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 10:43 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1718
Sorry - missed the 470 STC on this one (darn iPhone).

The Engine/prop warts are gone with that upgrade- but territory I know little about.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 13:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1678
Company: airline has-been
Aircraft: 1956 Bonanza 35
I still like what I'm hearing about that airplane Chris. That engine upgrade is a big plus from several standpoints. What I know about the prop is that it is not the Hartzell with recurring AD, which is a bigger plus than you probably realize. The panel upgrade, even without mention of specific avionics, is a significant plus worth 5-10 grand; quite a lot of labor and paperwork was involved for the rearrangement from original and now it will be easier to upgrade.
There was an AD that decreased the usable fuel in the 20 gallon main tanks to 17 gallons. It came to be, I'm going to say loosely, at least a decade after that airplane was built because they discovered some regimes could send a burp down the line. That was primarily rolling takeoffs, where the burp happened right at the worst time. ABS teaches that " you may be able to use more than 17 gallons, but don't plan on it". Since you said many tanks, there may be one behind the back seat; this one contributes to an already limited aft CG. Yes the tip tanks allow you to increase GW by 200 lbs, but be aware that that extra weight is only allowed if it is the fuel in those tanks. Aux tanks in the wing may have been an option on the F, which they made standard on the G; they hold 10 gallons each. If you have those, plus tips, you better have a strong bladder.

The plane is plenty fast and roomy. I am always getting complements on how nice mine looks, even with a typical paint job. People don't believe it's 60 years old with its ageless design, which translates to positive vibes from the wife and keepability. Lots of DFW folks on here, maybe somebody will pipe in. If not, contact a local "mentor".

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 16:16 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +220
Aircraft: 2004 Bonanza A36TN
I'm not sure if Jerry Hammock is on the forums, but give him a call for talking about older Bonanza maintenance, etc. Hammock Aviation Services, Inc. He's south of DFW in Ennis, TX. I know a few others who have used him with excellent results.

(612) 206-4430

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 16:48 

Post Likes: +5181
Company: Mayo Clinic
Aircraft: Planeless in RST
Welcome Chris!
Reading between the lines here, you’re gong to be flying a family around before long.....
Bonanza time!

Someone said it already: remember to get the gear down and all the rest will come....
One three checks on short final:
Is the gear down
Are you sure the gear is down
Is the friggin gear down????

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 12:04 

Thanks guys... I'll check on Hammock thanks for the heads up. Not a close drive but it'd be a short flight!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 14:01 

Good news!

Thanks for everyone's advice, all the knowledge on this forum, and BPPP. Hammock found a few issues that we worked through and the deal went through.

25 hours so far, need to start work on the instrument rating next!

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 17:05 

Post Likes: +890
Aircraft: 1966 Bonanza V35
Congratulations Christopher, :thumbup: :cheers: :woot:

“Only thing better than a Bonanza is 2 Bonanzas"

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 21:01 

Post Likes: +1954
Oh laa lahh! Looks great!!! Well done!!! :thumbup:

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next