Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Hello from New Zealand
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 21:41 

Post Likes: +34
Aircraft: Robin R2160
Hi folks,

Very glad to be here, current glider pilot looking to break into the powered GA world where I hear getting home for dinner is more common!

I have also been on a few ultralight adventures around this very pretty country from the air.

Warm regards to all,

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: Hello from New Zealand
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 21:46 

Post Likes: +8745
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*
I see a yaw string in that first picture!

:pilot:

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 21:49 

Ha, indeed.

I tried a Twin Comanche on for size yesterday and thought about a yaw string... and a height adjustable seat!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 22:25 

Post Likes: +10506
Aircraft: Not in the cards
Username Protected wrote:
...current glider pilot looking to break into the powered GA world where I hear getting home for dinner is more common!

:coffee:

Welcome to BT, Jason. You're gonna fit right in.

:cheers:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 09:47 

Post Likes: +1954
Jason, welcome to BT! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 16:28 

Appreciated gents,

I come from a professional yachting, and target shooting background. Both social and particularly with shooting, cordial cultures. Worth saying I believe aviation folk, and I should include my self, to be a special blend of warm hearted, thoughtful and genuinely helpful people with many interesting stories. Too soon? ;) But no it is true. Please make sure that you make any forum friendships here real friendships. If in New Zealand for any reason, we will expect at least a visit! We have some friends in the Lancair community staying with us in March and have a big, empty rustic old house in the country and do enjoy hosting so please don't be strangers.

:cheers:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 17:07 

Post Likes: +1369
Company: Jeppesen
Aircraft: 1956 Bonanza G35
Welcome Jason,

Nice first post and great pictures. I've never met a Kiwi I didn't like. This is the one who's been hanging out with me for the last few years. She's a pilot too.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 05:38 

Thanks Mark, aren't you the handsome couple!

This is Trish and I on a few adventures around the globe through the many years now.
She is a yoga instructor rather than a pilot but a willing companion with an adventurous spirit despite one flight ending in a paddock after the Rotax 912 we were behind decided to throw an intake valve and start a fire in the manifold...

https://www.facebook.com/ararimuyoga/

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 10:50 

Post Likes: +1301
Company: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
Welcome, Jason!

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 11:08 

Post Likes: +497
Company: Telematic Systems, Inc.
Aircraft: Baron E55
Welcom aboard Jason :pilot: I've traveled all over the globe and New Zealand has always been top on my list of the most scenic, beautiful country with the best most friendly citizens. Was last there in 2002 for the America's Cup Sailing races. One of the best month I've ever spent on a vacation. Looking forward to another visit next year. :cheers:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 16:22 

Thanks gents,

Bill, do us the honour of a visit now wont you. :) Are you bringing the Barron?
This is what I did before I got a 'real' job.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 19:50 

Post Likes: +1137
Aircraft: C 210
Jason,

Awesome pictures and welcome!

I noticed you list a Tecnam in your profile, do you fly one regularly?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 06:04 

Hiya Jay,

Yes this is the little p2002, loads of right rudder at high thrust low speed phases, great flaps for steep approaches, slips OK, nice roll / pitch harmony, higher wing loading than many ULs handles the chop pretty well, rolls out of stalls in turns, happy in a deep stall, haven't spun it (we are not allowed to with NZ UL regs) but feels like it would be a good trainer for that, exactly 110knts at 4900 3500ft DA (no MP) one up, half fuel. Can't complain but am currently motivated toward either an R/STOL Twinkie or a faster Experimental single. I tried one very special one on for size but it didn't fit sadly.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 14:19 

Post Likes: +71
Aircraft: Bonanza A36 TN
Hi Jason,

You prompt a few questions and comments.

1. There is a doctor in Dunedin who flies a beautiful Bonanza. I can’t recall his name but the folks at Glide Omarama will know, because he soars there also. I think he is a BTer.

2. When will you “graduate” to a Bonanza?

3. As a proud American, I consider NZ to be my second home (despite growing up in England!). My wife and I go to NZ almost every “winter”, but not with my Bonanza or glider.

4. Soaring in NZ is the best in the world, and we have come to know many of the top soaring pilots there. Great place to learn soaring for “add-on rating” and for advanced skills.

5. I just wrote an article in the U.S. SOARING magazine about the incredible stories of soaring club airfields in NZ. Specifically, Springfield and Greytown, and of course the amazing history of Omarama. Soaring in the USA can learn a lot from Kiwis! The point being that airfields that are owned or run by the soaring pilots can remove the tyranny of government and cause a huge sense of “pride of ownership”. For sports aviation, it is very attractive. But it does require strong leadership and dedicated self-help to produce the necessary passion and camaraderie. That’s sometimes hard to come by in the USA.

6. But frankly, a Tecnam may be better than a Bonanza or Baron in NZ, simply due to the small airspace arena and relatively close destinations involved. But it depends on your mission and destinations – Invercargill to Kaitaia is still a slow 3 day drive and a ferry ride.

7. What is your base airport?

Cheers,

Jim Herd

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 18:12 

Hey Jim, you know what we should do? Flying safaris for your countrymen in NZ. The full package from aircraft hire, look at creating a fast track between FAA and CAA taking care of any transition paper work, exams to sit before arriving, briefing the fields, airspace, weather, mountains, ATC subtleties, etc then throw in the standard unflustered dose of Kiwi hospitality and private strip adventures... what say you?

In regards to:
  1. That would be Pieter with ZK-PVA I believe. I don't believe we've met but then you never know at Glide Omarama!
  2. I did think about long about a F33C when I was considering 4 seat pseudo aerobats. See attached pdf. I still keep an eye out for Tornado Alley Bonanzas. They are on the list just not on the top. I might change my mind if I flew one.
  3. I feel a BTers in NZ tour coming on. Have to say I work in IT and this really is a special part of the internet. Feeling free to talk about other types here I think is one of the most unique aspects of the culture.
  4. Mountain flying on quite a big and variegated range jammed between no really conclusively identifiable circumpolar frontal band in the 60s and only Oz for a bottom of the Ferrel cell source zone leaves us with low Richardson numbers and fast moving systems. Challenging and engaging for the pros and keeps me cautious down there for now. Shouldn't complain it is essentially Switzerland surrounded by deserted beaches...
  5. Kind of you Jim. We do have sobering stats for gliding in NZ. I haven't compared it to other countries but we do our damnedest to keep each other safe.
  6. We have shortish grass strips to keeps us mindful and conscientious where a UL can be an advantage but with our dynamic weather, altitude and speed is still your friend. Especially as you often only need teens or low 20s to get above the weather. Monster Cbs are rare animals down here. Another thing often in the minds of Kiwi aviators is range and reliability. If you want to escape to other Pacific islands or Oz for a flying holiday you have a lot of water with its required due diligence to consider in light aircraft. I was over in Oz for a wedding last weekend and caught up with Ray Clamback about his various "triathlons" (fly, swim, boat). It takes maintenance, system knowledge, planning and emergency equipment / procedures up a notch.
    My home glider port is Drury - 9 min drive. http://glidingauckland.co.nz/
    My local powered fields in order of use currently:
    1. NZTH - 35 min drive. http://www.aip.net.nz/NavWalk.aspx?section=CHARTS&tree=Thames
    2. NZME - 20 min drive. http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/NZME.pdf
    3. NZAR - 20 min drive. http://www.aip.net.nz/NavWalk.aspx?section=CHARTS&tree=Ardmore

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next