Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: D35 comes home again.
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 14:28 

Post Likes: +5
Company: United Airlines
Aircraft: D-35
This story begins 19 years ago in a little town called Livermore Ca. I had been looking for a home to buy for over a year with no luck. Then one afternoon my realtor calls to let me know about a home new on the market. We meet to look it over and as I step out into the garage I'm stunned at what I see. There, hanging from the rafters was an Scale replica of Art Scholls Chipmunk! "Uh, Clark, why is there an radio control model airplane hanging in the garage?!?!?!?" Clark proceeds to tell me that the model belonged to the home owner and he hadn't removed it from the property just yet. So later that week I'm standing in the kitchen with the owner who explains to me that he flies rc models and his dad owns a Bonanza at the Livermore airport! I would later spend many days riding my mountain bike to Norm's hanger and talk shop about his beautiful D35. Everyday when I drove home past the airport I would peak into the open hanger door catching a glimpse of the Bo, Norm resting in his easy chair just inside the door. This went on for years and while he offered me a ride in her someday, the timing just never worked out as I was busy flying commercial glider rides in my time off. Then one day the hanger door was closed, it seemed like forever since I'd talked to Norm. His son came buy the house one day telling me Norm was not well, that he no longer went to the hanger, no longer kept vigil over 46Delta. He wanted to annual the old girl for his dad, asked if I could help and that he'd call me. The call never came.......

About a year later my wife and I were at the airport appreciation day with our daughter when I was once again stunned to see Bonanza 46D on the ramp in the display area! The new owners Bob and Liz sat proudly by their Bonanza. We talked at length about Norms passing, how carfully he'd cared for her. I was happy to see she'd found a good home. Shortly thereafter we began a search for our own airplane, sad that we missed the opportunity to own 46D......or so we thought.

Now here is where the story gets interesting. I had been shopping for months when I came across a Debonair for sale at KLVK. The owner said to meet him on the ramp and as we talked I told him the story of Norm and 46D. No sooner than the words had left my lips, what comes taxiing off the runway and up the ramp towards me but Bob, Liz and 46D heading to dinner at Beeb's!!!!!! Now that's a coincidence if ever there was one. Turns out Bob knew the Debonair owner and the next thing I know we are all talking together. We parted ways once again......or so we thought.

Very near 1 year to the day I last saw her, I was talking to an ebay seller about a C-35 that he was selling and the parts needed to repair her. That afternoon I get a text from the seller telling me to contact a guy at this number who has Bonanza parts for sale in my area. I call him up and leave a message. About a week later the phone rings, its a number I don't recognise. When I answer, the caller tells me he's sorry he missed my message and he does have the parts I'd need. Then out of the blue he tells me he has a D35 Bonanza for sale! A D35 Bonanza that lived at Livermore it's whole life!!! A D35 that was owned by a gentleman that passed away!!!!!!! I couldn't believe my ears, "Are you talking about Keiths dad's Bonanza??????" I proclaimed! The voice on the other end of the line replied, "We've talked before!!!!!". And so the 19 year chase of 46D had come full circle, from a text message received from the east coast no less!

Bob and I spent months sorting through the details, I assisted him with the annual inspection as part of the hands on prebuy of this grand bird. This week after months of meeting at the hanger, the deal was sealed with a hand shake! 46D will be home and hangered again very soon.

Dreams do come true, sometimes they just take their time getting here. Special thanks to owner Bob Prindle for all his help and patience.

Thank you,

Tony, Kip and Alexis

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 04 Aug 2017, 04:24, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: D35 comes home again.
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 14:35 

YIM  Profile

Post Likes: +1180
Company: Leopold Aero, LLC
Aircraft: 1978 Baron E55
What an amazing story! :clap:

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 16:23 

Post Likes: +453
Aircraft: Bonanza V35
Congrats.......My D-35 in Serial Number D-3459 ...off by 32 from 46D...

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 16:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1718
Cool story!!

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 16:46 

Post Likes: +354
Company: Clipper Sky LLC
Aircraft: 1978 Bonanza V35B
Great story dude! I am glad my bird is going to a great home! I and both happy and sad!

Damn! What a great story. Here again I remind myself how this tight aviation community is. Especially when it involves a classic bonanza. I have had 4 plus years of great memories in 46D. I still can't believe a 64 yr old machine still turns heads like 46D.

:bud:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 04:07 

Post Likes: +5
Company: United Airlines
Aircraft: D-35
Username Protected wrote:
Great story dude! I am glad my bird is going to a great home! I and both happy and sad!

Damn! What a great story. Here again I remind myself how this tight aviation community is. Especially when it involves a classic bonanza. I have had 4 plus years of great memories in 46D. I still can't believe a 64 yr old machine still turns heads like 46D.

:bud:

:thumbup: Hey Bob, still pinching myself to make sure it's real! So looking forward flying and caring for her. I have some big shoes to fill when one considers all the great owners 46D has had.

Thanks again!

Tony

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 08:15 

Post Likes: +1301
Company: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
What an awesome story, Tony! And welcome out of lurking!

I love the D35, and yours is gorgeous!

Like you, I fell in love with Bonanzas after seeing a D35. I was offered the opportunity to purchase her, but passed based on a few factors - mostly around my mission profile - but I still see her periodically and wonder if I could financially make a second plane work for me...

Congratulations, and thanks, again for sharing such a wonderful story and pictures!

Doc

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 18:22 

Post Likes: +157
Aircraft: C33 Debonair CD882
Great story and a lovely looking Bo.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2017, 21:17 

Post Likes: +10461
Company: Forever a Student Pilot
Aircraft: 1947 Bonanza 35
Anthony, You couldn't have gotten that Plane from a Nicer Fellow than Bob! :D