Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Aspiring Pilot-Senior in HS
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 21:48 

Post Likes: +18
Company: Shell Gas
Aircraft: Hoping for a V-tail
Hey Guys,

Um...I'm not real good at introductions and stuff but I'll try.

My names Derek. I'm a 18 year old from Norfolk VA. I've been liking airplanes since I was 5 years old, when my dad (God rest his soul) used to take me to the airport here in Norfolk, to watch planes take off. I graduate high school May 21 and my mom told me she will pay for my initial training to get my license. I'm working and saving money for college, my uncle told me if I work for a year, get my license, and save up enough money to buy a car. He will pay my way to go to college to be a Airline Captain.

I want to go to Embry Riddle in D.Beach but I may start at NC State or I might choose an aeronautical engineering degree instead. My uncle says my options are wide open and not to commit to anything yet but to have direction. So I know I want to go into aviation I love airplanes.

I joined Beechtalk to meet people of similar interests who may even have suggestions for me, I wanted to learn about the beechcraft brand, and I want to find out which model (I know there are many different ones) of V tail that I want to own one day.

I hope I get to know you all.

Aspiring Aviator

Post subject: Re: Aspiring Pilot-Senior in HS
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 22:06 

Post Likes: +6866
Company: Self Employed
Aircraft: V35B
Welcome Derek,

I was in Norfolk last weekend. What a beautiful city. :thumbup:

Be Kind, Rewind...

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 22:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9571
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
Username Protected wrote:

I want to go to Embry Riddle in D.Beach but I may start at NC State or I might choose an aeronautical engineering degree instead. My uncle says my options are wide open and not to commit to anything yet but to have direction. So I know I want to go into aviation I love airplanes.

My kid went to ERAU at DAB, graduating in 2013. I had always thought they were simply a pilot mill but it turns out they are every bit the engineering school that the Naval Academy is. He started out thinking he wanted to fly in the Navy but quickly abandoned that and graduated with a degree in Space Physics. He's now getting his PHd in medical physics from Univ of Texas in Houston. So your uncle is right.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 22:12 

My kid went to ERAU at DAB, graduating in 2013. I had always thought they were simply a pilot mill but it turns out they are every bit the engineering school that the Naval Academy is. He started out thinking he wanted to fly in the Navy but quickly abandoned that and graduated with a degree in Space Physics. He's now getting his PHd in medical physics from Univ of Texas in Houston. So your uncle is right.

Cool,

My Uncle went to Virginia Tech, a LONG time ago. He said when he started he wanted to be an engineer but shortly after decided to get a degree in mathmatics with a minor in education (or maybe the other way around)?

Aspiring Aviator

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 22:13 

Welcome Derek,

I was in Norfolk last weekend. What a beautiful city. :thumbup:

Oh year, I've lived here my whole life. It's really great. I enjoy downtown. :D

Aspiring Aviator

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 22:30 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +12031
Company: ? Most always. I like people.
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
Derek, welcome to BT! I used to fly in and out of Norfolk regularly helping Angel Flight Mid Atlantic when I lived in VA. Now when people ask me where I live and say "what" (because no one has ever heard of my tiny town) I tell them north west of Daytona Beach.

Sooner or later we are going to run into each other if we haven't already.

Fill up on BeechTalk and you'll have a PhD before you get your undergrad.

BNice

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 23:50 

Post Likes: +495
Aircraft: 35-33 Deb
Welcome to BT! Whether you decide to fly for a living, or do something else in aviation and fly for fun/family travel, there will be people here who have BTDT.

I manage IT infrastructure (data centers, network, servers, storage, phones, radios, etc) for a major airport, which is endlessly challenging and a bit stressful with 100,000 people using the airport each day. I have an old Beech Debonair (the straight tail version of the Bonanza) and enjoy flying around the country.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 00:01 

Post Likes: +624
Company: flying rescue dogs
Aircraft: A36
wouldn't it be nice if a couple of norfolk BTers took this young man under their wing.
gary

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 11:56 

Post Likes: +1994
Company: Delta/ check o'the month club
Aircraft: 1968 Bonanza 36
I went to ERAU in DAB, 1999 grad in Computer Science. I went on an AFROTC scholarship and have been in the USAF since. I would look at several schools - ERAU is a good technical school but you miss out on a lot of "college" experiences because the school is so small and specialized. Many big state schools have a respectable aviation program and there are part 141 schools everywhere that you can attend if you opt for a non-aviation degree. Keep your options open and keep asking questions.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 12:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9571
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
I would look at several schools - ERAU is a good technical school but you miss out on a lot of "college" experiences because the school is so small and specialized.

Yes, that's why you will see meme's like this.

Attachment:
Rf7kNDh.png

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 13:16 

Post Likes: +1956
Hi Derek and welcome to BT!
Your uncle has good advice and there will be people here who can answer any questions you may have about aviation. And other things too!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 13:45 

Post Likes: +2695
Company: Air Mass Aviation
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36
Welcome Derek!
My son Nick graduated from the Professional Flight program at Auburn University in 2016. He participated in the Gateway Program with Jet Blue. I laugh at the posted hot-tub picture but that is one reason he chose Auburn over ERAU (although Riddle is an outstanding institution)
He has a pretty solid knowledge of the current lay of the land from civilian to military flying. I'm sure he would share some thoughts I you wanted

Scott Massios CFI/CFII

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 15:56 

Thanks for the advice. I looked at Auburn, my Mom, Uncle, and me went for a visit. What scares me about Ala. in general is that there are alot of tornadoes there. In Fla. its mainly hurricanes but you can escape them.
And also I felt like Auburn was further away from home, and I got to admit, ever since my Dad died, I have been aprehensive about being away from home. Thats why I am leaning towards NC STATE at least for my undergrad.

Aspiring Aviator

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 16:50 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
Thanks for the advice. I looked at Auburn, my Mom, Uncle, and me went for a visit. What scares me about Ala. in general is that there are alot of tornadoes there. In Fla. its mainly hurricanes but you can escape them.
And also I felt like Auburn was further away from home, and I got to admit, ever since my Dad died, I have been aprehensive about being away from home. Thats why I am leaning towards NC STATE at least for my undergrad.

Any state school with an aviation program will do you just fine. The airline hiring environment looks particularly good in the next 5 years. Make sure you go to a school that qualifies you for a restricted ATP and get building hours FAST.

As for tornadoes ... you are VASTLY more likely to be injured in an airplane than by a tornado. That's just not a reasonable concern.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 17:11 

Post Likes: +685
Aircraft: 1980 Baron 55
Our son went to Embry-Riddle and graduated in 2013.
He received all of his ratings at our home airport, during summers and spring breaks etc.
He had a great experience and met some people who have subsequently helped in getting in front of several piloting opportunities.
Thru one of those connections, he was hired tow years ago with 2400 hours by a Falcon 50 operator.
What's amazing is the operator sent him to CAE, where he got his 50 PIC type rating.
He now flys 12 days on and 10 days off, has logged 1,000 of turbine time and will be moving up to Captain in a couple of months.
Not to bad for a guy who just turned 27.
Could he gotten the same some place else, I sure he could of and for ALOT less AMU's!

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next