banner
banner

17 Dec 2017, 04:12 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup

Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Baron N7123N Chuck Ney "Savannah" adventure
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 09:57 

Post Likes: +1061
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
Username Protected wrote:
Hi Sven,

I'm at Appleton as well so give me a shout out and if you need anything on the field at KATW, I have a hangar at ATW that supports my B55.

Hope to see you sometime this week. I will PM you my mobile contact details.

Mike

Hi Mike - sounds great.... just did same!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 08:49 

Great day of flying with flawless performance from N7123N! Makes all the crazy time, effort, and AMU's so worth it. Ended up just taking my friend and mechanic, Tim Kline, and his girlfriend Kim. My father in law had to bow out at the last minute which was a real bummer.

I usually make 2 stops for fuel and nature but this time I made just one stop in Trinidad, CO which was 4:06 from Van Nuys. Met a super nice fellow at this sleepy airport who helped us with the self-serve fuel (the credit card reader is not co-located with the pump) and told us about the rare bird on the ramp. The Excalibur Queen Air is a plane contracted by UPS - still an active "freight dog". I had checked the POH the day before to see what kind of margin I would have, knowing DA was going to be a big factor (elevation 5761 with 90 degree temp). The runway is 5500 feet long, sloping slightly down to the west. After topping off with 95 gallons of 100LL and using the facilities we were ready to launch. 23N was airborne with about 1500 feet to spare on RWY 21, and after getting 1000 feet safety altitude under us, I turned northeast for Appleton.

The summer storms were active in the Midwest with a significant line that ran NW to SE about 350 miles west of KATW. So glad I had purchased my Mountain High system earlier this year because the magic number to pick your way over this system was just under 16000 feet! It all worked out and looked like we'd make KATW with 1:20 fuel remaining according to the G4's fuel computer (yeah -I've checked it against actual burn and it's on the money!). I'd been checking the KATW weather every 30 minutes or so and things were stable VFR with 10 mile visibility with scattered to broken clouds under an 8000 foot overcast. All according to plan until about 30 minutes out Tim tells me KATW just went IFR. I made a quick decision to divert to Waupaca KPCZ, 22 miles west which was perfect VFR - sky clear below 12000. Fortunately my cell phone had service so I sent my brother, Kurt, a text letting him know of the change. He had arrived Tuesday night in his Atlantic Aero F33A and had already secured our car and the home we rented on AirBnB - he was waiting for us at KATW. He got the text and said he'd jam over to KPCZ to get us - he was arriving just as we were on final so everything worked out like a charm. TTE was 4:36 so total flight time from Van Nuys was 8:42.

After securing the Baron and unloading our junk, we headed for our temporary home in Appleton and poured ourselves an adult beverage (or two?) after arriving. This morning the weather is fabulous and we'll be heading out soon for Mecca. :pilot:

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 00:24 

Back home from AirVenture 2017 after a great day of squawk-free flying in N7123N. I was planning on a fuel stop in Rawlins, Wyoming when about 30 minutes out, Tim told me the airport was unattended on Sundays and it did not appear there was 24 hour self-serve fuel. So quick change of plan and we landed at nearby Saratoga, WY (KSAA) instead. The Saratoga Jet Center was great - and the 8800 foot downhill runway sure helps as the field elevation is 7015 (DA today was over 9000). Trip time was remarkably identical to our eastbound run on Wednesday - 8:42 total time enroute. There's not too much in life that compares with the satisfaction of flying cross country in your personal plane and today did not dissapoint.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 11:40 

Post Likes: +285
Company: boyes bros. inc.
Aircraft: baron b55
Barons are great!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 23:23 

Barons are great!

I can't disagree with that! Now so is going to AirVenture and seeing two 56TC's next to each other. Now Bob - where was N3221R? Could have had 3 in a row!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 11:17 

Post Likes: +285
Company: boyes bros. inc.
Aircraft: baron b55
After the new turbo installation,I learned that the TIT system was obsolete. I'm still working through that,drove instead. Glad you had a safe trip.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 20:04 

Post Likes: +811
Sven,

Great pictures, I am definitely going next year. Everyone is having too much fun.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 00:40 

You know how it goes.... get back from a trip (OSH) and it's time to do more work on the old sky machine. The week before last it was back to Howard Aviation to make my appointment to accomplish the 24 month pitot-static and transponder certification. Today was a job I have been putting off but needed to be done. If you have never had the pleasure of changing out a circuit breaker switch on the pilot's sub-panel you are missing an opportunity to find cuss word combinations you never knew existed. I had a nav light switch that was incorrect (10A - supposed to be 5A) and going bad. I noticed after flying back from Howard Aviation that when I shut the nav light switch off, the switch bat was quite warm so I figured something was failing internally . Plus some past rocket scientist had changed the beacon switch out and installed a useable but incorrect Potter & Brumfield W31 series switch that did not match the original Wood Electric c/b switches. I have a complete set of the original Wood Electric switches in my spares stash so I already had all the parts that I needed. Being the somewhat OCD type that I am, I figured this was the time to knock that one out too, since it was right next to the nav light switch. I got the project started and it was miserable. You basically are working through the 3" instrument hole for the primary CDI with one hand and are stretched out like a monkey from below the panel with the other. Thank God that Tim showed up and saved my day because I think I'd still be in the hangar cursing were it not for him. Tim took over and knocked the project out without any colorful words that were audible. I decided to handle the idiot work, cleaning up the subpanel overlay and repainting the Wilkie buttons that cover the holes for switches I do not have in TC-1046. The end result came out great and 7123N is ready to fly again.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 19:29 

Bittersweet day yesterday at the home drome. I was up at my Van Nuys hangar that my friend Tim Kline uses for his aircraft maintenance business - always accompanied by Cody, his 7 year old Boxer who is the greatest airport dog. Cody flies with us all the time, hops up on the wing and stretches out on both middle seats - he's always ready to fly somewhere. I noticed Cody had been shaved around his left rear hip and asked Tim what's up with that.... got the news no dog lover wants to hear - Cody has an inoperable tumor. Tim told me that after visits to 3 different vets, there is nothing that can be done. So cancer will cut Cody's life short and there's nothing that can be done.

I got a text last week from my brother, Kurt, asking if I had received a package. I said that I had not and he advised that it had been signed for by Tony, one of my employees. I text my Parts Manager and told him that Tony had signed for a package and I wanted to confirm we had it. A few minutes later, the package was at my office door and I saw a very prominent "Be Kool" label. What a fantastic early b-day present! The heat has been intense in SoCal and today was no exception - the thermometer in my Jaguar was right at 100 degrees as I pulled into the airport. Perfect opportunity to try the B-Kool.

So Cody, Tim and I climbed in the Baron in the heat and turned the Be-Kool on with the remote control. Incredible - it's the first time all summer I didn't turn into a sweat mess on the taxi out to 16R. Kept it on all the way up to 8500 where we leveled out with the OAT a comfortable 65 degrees. On the descent back into VNY I turned it back on coming down through 4000 feet and kept it on all the way to the hangar. Great gift and great product from Bob Stephens.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 20:15 

Post Likes: +26
Aircraft: Baron C-55
So sorry to read the news regarding Cody, he's a GREAT dog that will be sorely missed at KVNY. My German Shepard, Rocky, and Cody love to play together, when Cody sees my car he comes running to look for Rocky. Regretfully we don't get a chance to see Tim or Cody often since I've moved 355N to KWHP.

On a far less important note I have a BKool too which I operate the same way you describe but, I find that by the time I level in cruise all that's left is a plastic box of warm water. Don't get me wrong on a hot day it works great, until the ice is completely melted. Wonder what I might be doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 23:57 

So sorry to read the news regarding Cody, he's a GREAT dog that will be sorely missed at KVNY. My German Shepard, Rocky, and Cody love to play together, when Cody sees my car he comes running to look for Rocky. Regretfully we don't get a chance to see Tim or Cody often since I've moved 355N to KWHP.

On a far less important note I have a BKool too which I operate the same way you describe but, I find that by the time I level in cruise all that's left is a plastic box of warm water. Don't get me wrong on a hot day it works great, until the ice is completely melted. Wonder what I might be doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ron, I didn't do anything extraordinary operating the Be-Kool; I put 20 lbs of crushed ice in it and primed it with 16 oz of cold water. That's it and I still had some ice left in the cold water when I put 23N back into the hangar. Could it be that newer units are more efficient? Call Bob Stephens and see what he has to say.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 00:16 

Post Likes: +26
Aircraft: Baron C-55
I've been using ice cubes, I'll give the crushed a try. Thanks.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 23:12 

Post Likes: +1105
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
I've been using ice cubes, I'll give the crushed a try. Thanks.

Cubes should last longer, one or two solid blocks even longer than cubes. My cooler has a Styrofoam barrier that you can put on top of the ice to slow the melting (it blocks the airflow from the ice) and minimize the moisture added to the air.

That and pretty much anything you do to slow the melting will also raise the output temperature.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 10:21 

Well it is "that time of year" again, so last Sunday's flight (KVNY - KSZP - KSBP - KPOC - KVNY) will be it for a bit while we break out the tool box once again. Only have three squawks: my right alternator has just started acting up and I suspect the rectifier has a bad diode or two; also my Insight G4 has an intermittent issue on start up - I've corresponded with with Insight and they know the issue so they want it sent back for warranty repair; and my Edo-Aire 4000B-10 directional gyro is precessing excessively. Anyone have a recommendation on a really good gyro shop??

This annual we will install the new Plane Power R1224B voltage regulators that I bought over a year ago and never got around to puttin in, will pull both starters and send them to Modified Aircraft Accessories (working fine but I have no idea of actual TIS), will send the right exhaust to Dawley for overhaul, and a bunch of other small detail items that I want done. Hopefully I will not be out of action for more than 3 weeks, depending on turn-around times.

With 5340.9 on the flight hour recorder and now coming up on it's 50th birthday, 7123N has plenty of great flying left in her.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 21:49 

Post Likes: +4
Aircraft: Baron P-58
I made a cooler using a bilge pump and ford heater core. A bilge blower fan moves the air. It can turn 20 pounds of crushed ice to water in two hours on a 96 degree day. I typically freeze several 32 oz cups of water and fill the rest of the compartment with what ever I can get... cubes or crushed.
The bigger the cube / block the longer it lasts

Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next