banner
banner

22 Oct 2017, 02:32 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

DShannon Aviation (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Baron N7123N Chuck Ney "Savannah" adventure
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 18:54 

Post Likes: +963
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
Username Protected wrote:
Sven, great report. Why didn't you just file IFR for the entire trip?

-Bro

Because I knew I'd do something dumb like not calling ATC when on the ground at 3O8 and they'd come lookin' for me. :eek:

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 21:01 

Post Likes: +1074
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Sven, you're making great family memories here.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 10:31 

I forgot to give a PAREP (Passenger Report) on the cheapy stereo headsets I purchased for the back-seaters. For $95 a copy, I purchased 2 passive stereo headsets manufactured by Pilot Communications and private-labeled by Marv Golden Pilot Supplies in San Diego. My daughter said they were comfortable (granted - flight was short), did a good job suppressing noise, and the tunes streamed to the PMA450 sounded good. We'll see how they pass the test of time but right now for very occasional use these seem to be an economical solution. I didn't see any good reason to burn $1500 or so on fancy ANR headsets that would see only occasional use throughout the year.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 21:43 

I forgot to give a PAREP (Passenger Report) on the cheapy stereo headsets I purchased for the back-seaters. For $95 a copy, I purchased 2 passive stereo headsets manufactured by Pilot Communications and private-labeled by Marv Golden Pilot Supplies in San Diego. My daughter said they were comfortable (granted - flight was short), did a good job suppressing noise, and the tunes streamed to the PMA450 sounded good. We'll see how they pass the test of time but right now for very occasional use these seem to be an economical solution. I didn't see any good reason to burn $1500 or so on fancy ANR headsets that would see only occasional use throughout the year.

You might be able to find some good deals on used ANR headsets.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 23:30 

Lance - forgetting headsets for the moment what is your take on this: My Insight G4 has both engines at 28.5 GPH on takeoff give or take a few tenths (the right engine is typically about .3 - .4 GPH higher than the left. That said, the fuel flow (pressure) gage has the left engine pegged at about the 9:30 position on takeoff and the right engine is more like 8:00. Both flow dividers have been recently overhauled as well as the fuel controllers and the fuel flow gage. What do you think would cause this disparity in pressure readings? :scratch:

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 22:01 

Lance - forgetting headsets for the moment what is your take on this: My Insight G4 has both engines at 28.5 GPH on takeoff give or take a few tenths (the right engine is typically about .3 - .4 GPH higher than the left. That said, the fuel flow (pressure) gage has the left engine pegged at about the 9:30 position on takeoff and the right engine is more like 8:00. Both flow dividers have been recently overhauled as well as the fuel controllers and the fuel flow gage. What do you think would cause this disparity in pressure readings? :scratch:

The most likely cause would be the gauge itself and this can easily be checked by swapping the lines going to it. If they're hard-lines you may need to get a bit creative though.

Other possibilities are more restrictive injectors, a restriction in one of the "recently overhauled" flow dividers, and miscalibration of the FF transducer.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 01:27 

Lance - all good thoughts.

1. After performing the fuel injection set-up per the SID (prior to G4 installation), the flows on the gage were matched or at least close enough for government work. GAMI's had already been installed.
2. The G4, once installed, showed the takeoff flow about 3 GPH less on the left engine than on the right, even though the fuel flow gages were more or less matched. I believe the transducers (K factor and what not) are correctly set up because the fuel burn predicted by the G4 matches actual gallons going in within a few tenths.
3. We booted the fuel flow up on the left engine to match the indicated flow on the G4 with the right engine. That's when the disparity on the FF gage showed up. BTW - leaned for cruise the FF gage is reasonably matched left and right.
4. Both flow dividers were overhauled by Pacific Continental Engines within 60 days of each other. The FF gage was unaffected by the overhauls - indications were the same before and after.

I am leaning towards something being more restrictive on the left engine. Anecdotally, the CHT's run hotter on the left than on the right. Is there a restrictor on the flow divider where the fuel pressure line attaches? If those were not matched I would think that could cause the indication differential.

"Man with two watches never knows exactly what time it is." You never have to even think about this with just a single Continental mill pulling you through the sky.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 21:55 

Lance - all good thoughts.

1. After performing the fuel injection set-up per the SID (prior to G4 installation), the flows on the gage were matched or at least close enough for government work. GAMI's had already been installed.
2. The G4, once installed, showed the takeoff flow about 3 GPH less on the left engine than on the right, even though the fuel flow gages were more or less matched. I believe the transducers (K factor and what not) are correctly set up because the fuel burn predicted by the G4 matches actual gallons going in within a few tenths.

If the fuel injection setup was accomplished with properly calibrated gauges and the panel mounted fuel pressure gauge readings were consistent with the SID, then assuming nothing has changed significantly since there are only three possibilities that I can see. One is that a flow restriction exists now and existed when the fuel injection was set up. Since the SID specifies making adjustments until the full power Metered Fuel Pressure is within limits, an abnormal restriction would result in less fuel flow when the pressure was correct. The second is that something is causing the fuel flow transducer to be inaccurate at full throttle, full rich power but reasonably accurate at cruise power fuel flows. AFaIK one potential cause for that is something like a sharp bend or improper fitting near the transducer. The third possibility is that something has changed that is restricting the fuel flow on one engine. It's possible (but not very likely) that this is the FF transducer itself.

Quote:
3. We booted the fuel flow up on the left engine to match the indicated flow on the G4 with the right engine. That's when the disparity on the FF gage showed up. BTW - leaned for cruise the FF gage is reasonably matched left and right.
4. Both flow dividers were overhauled by Pacific Continental Engines within 60 days of each other. The FF gage was unaffected by the overhauls - indications were the same before and after.

I am leaning towards something being more restrictive on the left engine. Anecdotally, the CHT's run hotter on the left than on the right. Is there a restrictor on the flow divider where the fuel pressure line attaches? If those were not matched I would think that could cause the indication differential.

A similar problem that's happened more than once involves accidentally swapping the fittings on the flow divider. The one going to the fuel pressure gauge is supposed to be restrictive in order to minimize the flow if a leak develops in the line to the gauge. If that fitting ends up on the inlet to the divider the pressure would be higher than normal for a given fuel flow and the increase will be much greater at high flow rates.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 22:21 

Lance, I knew I asked you for good reason. Many thanks for your insights. I think I will have Tim check the fittings on the fuel pressure side of the flow dividers. Maybe swap them and see if the indicated full power fuel flow changes on the pressure gage. If that makes no difference I think I will have him do the same on the inlet fitting. Whatcha think?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 23:21 

Lance, I knew I asked you for good reason. Many thanks for your insights. I think I will have Tim check the fittings on the fuel pressure side of the flow dividers. Maybe swap them and see if the indicated full power fuel flow changes on the pressure gage. If that makes no difference I think I will have him do the same on the inlet fitting. Whatcha think?

If you remove the fittings the difference is visually obvious. Usually the restrictive fitting is painted orange but that's not always true.

You can make a relative comparison of fuel flow indications by finding peak EGT when you're high enough that full throttle MAP is under 23 inHg. Both engine should hit peak on the third cylinder to peak at the same flow within a few tenths of a gph. Since the mixture won't be at the full rich setting for this, the fuel control setup won't have any effect on the measurement. Of course, it's probably not a good idea to try this down low without partially closing the throttle and in that case you're also relying on the accuracy of the MAP gauge.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 00:22 

It was so hot today at KVNY that Tim and I got nothing done. How hot? Check the dash photo of my car. A fire to the north in Santa Clarita had just started and the LAFD helicopters based near me were quick to respond. It was so hot that very few people were even flying, though I did bump into my buddy, Kuljit, who had just come in from San Francisco in his air conditioned 58P (yeah I might be having a/c envy). I just decided to do grunt work and clean up 7123N for one or two trips planned for the July 4 weekend. While I was walking between my two hangars a fellow with a fairly new Cirrus SR 22 Carbon Package was taxiing up and shut down. I don't recall the guys name though I had helped him put his Cirrus back in his hangar a few months back. I asked if he needed help again and he said, "no, I'm waiting for a friend to go flying with me. Do you mind if I park in front of your hangar for awhile?" I told him he was welcome to park there as I had no desire to fly in that heat. Plus no one else in the hangar row was flying so he'd obstruct nothing. In ten or so minutes his friend shows up and they both climb into the Cirrus. I'm sweating away in my hangar and I hear "clear!" with the sound of the engine cranking. Nothing. Nada. Zip. He lets off the starter and tries again in a few seconds with the same result. On the third try the engine fires but won't run. After the fifth try, I'm thinking this guy is going to either burn up his starter or kill his battery, so I go out to his Cirrus and greet him again. I don't know much about his plane so I asked him a few questions: "Do you have a mixture control?", he replies, "yes". Then I ask "do you have a high-low-off fuel boost pump switch?" He says he has a fuel boost switch labeled "Prime, Normal, and Off". So I tell him "this is what I want you to do: open the throttle all the way and put your mixture in cut-off, hold your boost pump switch in prime for one minute, then retard the throttle to your normal start position and mixture full rich. As soon as it fires, put your boost pump on normal." I walked back into my hangar and heard the Cirrus going through the drill. It started right up and he taxied away. When he returned about an hour later he thanked me profusely for helping him get his engine started. His friend was from Europe and used to fly there but gave up due to expense and regulation. He had not flown in a light plane in nine years.... I was glad to be able to help so they could both enjoy the freedom of flight in the USA.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 23:56 

On Sunday I accomplished a quick but far from perfect cosmetic fix on my cabin door frame. I had what could arguably be the worst looking door frame in the Beech community - I'm talking about the part you see when the door is open that the cabin door seal is glued to. Mine was hideous with dried glue and dried black RTV bleeding from the incorrectly installed cabin door seal (some moron installed it fat side out) - not to mention what the paint looked like. My cabin door needs a new seal preceeded by some very careful prepping but I'm not going to deal with that until Jim Klug gets hold of my Baron when he is in Houston after the summer. No point in putting in a new seal before the cabin door hinge pins/bushings have been replaced.

So all I did was remove the old dried glue and RTV, then lightly sanded the surface followed by degreasing. Then I masked and draped the area so I wouldn't get overspray from the down and dirty rattle can spray job I was about to administer. I was looking for an end result that was presentable - not perfect, as that will be a project for another day. A few hours work resulted in what you see in the pics. I did not have the presence of mind to take pics before so you just have to believe me - it was damn ugly.

I also opened an early Christmas present for the old girl.... I purchased a servicable set of ailerons that arrived mid-week last week at my buddy's warehouse near the airport. He dropped the crate off in my hangar so I was anxious to see if these ailerons were really as advertised on eBay. Fortune was on my side - the ailerons look great so I will hang on to them until I get 7123N to a paint shop. My ailerons have lots of small Texas hail pecks that really bug me so these will be great replacements. I'll take pics next time I'm at the hangar.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 19:44 

Wheels up today at 8:25 am KVNY bound for South Lake Tahoe Airport KVTL to pick up my son, Cory, and his buddy from La Jolla, CA. Cory and a bunch of his frat brothers from UCSB planned the 4th of July weekend in Lake Tahoe. I told Cory to just get a one-way ticket to KSFO from KLAX for their arrival on June 30 and that I'd bring them home on the 4th. It was a beautiful CAVU day in California and smooth as glass. The trip did turn out to be a bit more expensive than planned however. Check out the pic of the RH panel and you'll see what I mean. The rocket scientist that thought it would be a good idea to swap out the original Garwin wet vacuum pumps with dry pumps ought to be banned from GA aircraft maintenance. All I can do is wonder WTF he was thinking. I have NEVER had a vacuum pump failure in all my years of flying - but until 7123N, I was flying behind Garwin wet pumps. After this post, I am getting a replacement from Chief Aircraft.

Door to door, it took Cory 10 hours to get to Lake Tahoe from LA. He said it was "the longest day ever" in a text to me and his mom. It was about 3 hours from KTVL until when I dropped him and his buddy off in Santa Monica. The freedom of flight we have in the USA is never to be taken for granted. Nuff said!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 19:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +2079
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
Awesome, I was at TVL in the Pilatus. I saw a Baron but didn't realize that was you or I would have said hi.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 19:55 

Awesome, I was at TVL in the Pilatus. I saw a Baron but didn't realize that was you or I would have said hi.

Crap! I saw you as I was taxiing out and heard you talking to OAK Center! I had no idea you were flying the PC12. The fellow parked next to me with a Beech Premier said the Baron was the best flying airplane he had ever flown. Pretty good compliment for a guy flying his own jet!

Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next