26 Jul 2017, 00:47 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: GDC 31 roll steering problem
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 23:06 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Aerostar 601p/700
I just bought an Aerostar that I traded for my B55. I had put a deposit on it a few weeks ago and had some avionics work done at its home airport in CO. I am in OKC. I went to CO to fly it and the GPSS does not work. The airplane had two 430s just upgraded to WAAS. It has a Sandel 3500, and KFC 200. The GPSS just blinks in the air and on the ground. I know it is supposed to blink below 30 kts, but not in the air.

In the air the autopilot will fly nav mode, apprch mode, hdg mode all normally. When I put the autopilot in HDG mode and the GPSS in GPS mode it just flys straight and level it does not follow the hdg bug nor does it fly the flight plan. When I put the GPSS in hdg mode the autopilot flys the bug. Changing to NAV mode on the autopilot does not get the GPSS to work either.

When in GPS mode it just blinks. I looked at some things and that means there is a fault. I presume the GPSS is not getting the input form the GPS or Sandel correctly. I think the GPS sends info to the Sandel and the Sandel relays it to the GPSS and the GPSS to the autopilot. I am not sure though.

I left the airplane in CO and flew the airlines home. I now know why I bought an airplane.

Does anyone have a setup with a GDC 31, Sandel 3500 and a KFC 200 who might be able to give me some hints to pass on to the shop? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

Post subject: Re: GDC 31 roll steering problem
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 06:25 

Post Likes: +199
All these problems with the GDC31 all at the same time!!!

First test is to make sure that the ARINC or GAMA 429 port setting is talking the right speed out, and that it is talking at all. Then if it is set correctly, bug the 429 lines out of the GPS to the GDC converter box with a buzz box or meter...

Im guessing unless they really messed with the wiring, it should be something basic.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 12:03 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1
Company: Honaker Aviation
If the GDC31 was already installed and working prior to the WAAS upgrade, I agree with Charles. The configuration on the upgraded units needs to be checked.

If it was added at the time of the upgrade, you will need to verify some wiring. You will want to check and see that they used the ARINC429 instead of the RS-232. Both work well to drive the GDC31, but only the ARINC429 will let you fly the holds and procedure turns.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 00:20 

Post Likes: +65
Aircraft: 1982 King Air 90
Sounds similar to the problem that I had about 2 months ago. GDC31 was installed new but not configured for the existing WAAS upgraded Garmins. Every thing got better when they changed the configuration to ARINC429. I am still having minor issues with the GPSS turning through the intercept and needing 2-3 turns to get on the the course. My analysis (non-tech) is that the gain is now too high. Any other thoughts from anybody?

Thanks, Charles for your advise on this matter.

Rick Mishler
Phoenix

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 18:14 

Post Likes: +93
Aircraft: Aerostar 601p/700
Apparently the problem is now corrected. The GPSs were set up wrong and not sending the information correctly. I don't the specifics beyond that. I have not yet flown the airplane but the person who sold it to me has and says it now works.

As far as the gain there is a jumper that can be placed to increase the gain. I don't have the jumper in place at present and will see how it does without it. It may need to be added at some point.

Thanks for the advice.

Eric

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 00:56 

Post Likes: +1049
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Username Protected wrote:
Apparently the problem is now corrected. The GPSs were set up wrong and not sending the information correctly. I don't the specifics beyond that. I have not yet flown the airplane but the person who sold it to me has and says it now works.

As far as the gain there is a jumper that can be placed to increase the gain. I don't have the jumper in place at present and will see how it does without it. It may need to be added at some point.

Thanks for the advice.

Eric

There are three inputs on the GDC-31 which can be grounded to select the gain. IIRC, of the eight possible combinations only five are actually used. When I had a GDC-31 installed in my Baron I had the shop temporarily run wires from the unit to a switch inside the plane that allowed me to try all the settings in flight to see what worked best.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]