banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 07:49 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Our Vision for the BeechTalk Community
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 13:26 

Post Likes: +4127
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
"However, you might decide to hold your tongue at a half-way house community outreach if the denier was a 250lb. MMA fighter just released from prison. "

Probably, maybe not. I might ask him why the dim view first. One of the great things about reason is it's contagious. One of the great things about martial arts is that it's self defense and violence should be a last resort.

It's not "badass" to tell someone to knock it off. Sure, discretion's part of my "world" too which you seem to define by its extremes.

My one objection to Willis' list was online bullying here, the context of this thread. Your objection to my view is its irrelevance to halfway house interventions? OK.
:D

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 14:50 

Post Likes: +818
Aircraft: Bonanza 35
Rudeness is one thing but I can get over that if the person means what they’re saying. I think attention seeking behavior is much much worse for a community.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 21:35 

Post Likes: +4406
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
Some people on BT feel the need to prove others wrong to make themselves right.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 01:53 

Post Likes: +6751
Aircraft: V35B
Username Protected wrote:
Some people on BT feel the need to prove others wrong to make themselves right.

I agree with you, but I'll also add that's not exclusive to BT/internet.
It occurs at work, school, on the playground, in the bars, at the airport.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 11:19 

Post Likes: +10506
Aircraft: Not in the cards
I reckon this fits here as well as anywhere else...

https://safr.kingfeatures.com/api/img.p ... UzNi5wbmc=

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 20:49 

Post Likes: +47
Aircraft: King Air 350
I moderate a 20-year old forum for a hobby interest. That forum is busy, with 25,000 members and serving 8 to 10 million page views every month.

I think the original mistake made here was to allow a discussion of COVID-19 to get started. When those threads started on our forum, we immediately deleted them with the caveat that we would not allow threads on that subject because they inevitably get into politics. As we all know, discussing anything political on an Internet forum not specifically purposed as a political forum is a recipe for disaster.

I think this forum is one of the best on the internet. We’ve got a great group of pilots here who discuss things related to Beech products in a civil manner 99.9 percent of the time. While I’m not a regular poster, I have personally enjoyed reading and learning on this forum for several years. I have retired from flying, but still enjoy reading threads here.

Jeff and Jeff, you guys do a great job. Thanks for all your efforts.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 21:43 

Post Likes: +14519
Aircraft: Prior SR22T,V35B,182
I know the COVID threads get a bit spirited. Although after some house cleaning, they are really quite well behaved.

With that said, as a non-med guy, I can’t imagine a better resource and more giving doctors and learned folks than we get here.

In many ways, these threads show the best side of BT. Two sides of a coin.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 21:58 

Post Likes: +2213
I know the COVID threads get a bit spirited. Although after some house cleaning, they are really quite well behaved.

With that said, as a non-med guy, I can’t imagine a better resource and more giving doctors and learned folks than we get here.

I agree 100%. BT is the best source of information about the Covid outbreak. I go into the Covid threads before going to any other section.

There were/are plenty of antagonists. But even with the crap you have to wade through, it provides an important service to our pilot community, for me at least.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 23:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +11836
Company: ? Most always. I like people.
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36

I agree 100%. BT is the best source of information about the Covid outbreak. I go into the Covid threads before going to any other section.

There were/are plenty of antagonists. But even with the crap you have to wade through, it provides an important service to our pilot community, for me at least.

+1000

BNice

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2020, 22:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7246
Company: Jet Acquisitions
BT is different from most forums because of the fact that informative threads about aircraft are kept alive by engaging and current event threads like Covid.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to anything I read on a forum about the ins and outs of a virus, how it impacts society and our economy outside of BT, what the average person would have to say about it on the internet would be dribble.

Beechtalk is different, this is a group of very intelligent individuals who are technical by nature. I have great respect for most of the folks that post on here, even those I disagree with. I think the “spirited” debates drive all of those involved to dig even deeper to defend their ideas and positions. Sometimes tempers flair, sometimes egos get involved, sometimes lines get crossed and action has to be taken. I can’t imagine administrating all of it and I applaud Jeff and Jeff for getting it done and walking that tight rope that keeps BT exciting, engaging and informative without it devolving into an unfriendly environment.

I’ll survive COVID19 more knowledgeable about viruses than I ever expected to be... and with my sanity intact because I had access to information not twisted by the 24 hour talking head channels.

Thanks guys, we’ll get through this together.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2020, 07:50 

Post Likes: +10456
Company: Forever a Student Pilot
Aircraft: 1947 Bonanza 35
People keep saying Other Forums :) What other Forums? :shrug:
Haven't Been on Glock Talk, (first forum) for Me for a Dozen Years
Ford Truck Enthusiasts, hardly ever went there :eek:

Not much of a Face Booker, (comes in Handy for Grandkid Photos, find a Few Friends)

First aircraft Forum, was Pilots of America, it was OK...........Then along came this Fellow, who'd been kicked off of BT..........his Name?.....Ben Prusinski, he was really Bitchin about being Kicked off of BT :eek: Not much good to say about You Folks :lol:

I had to find out what BT was All about :shrug: I'm sure a Few Folks would prefer that I disappear :bugeye:.................This Group?...........Smartest, most Passionate, most Fun Group of Folks on the Planet :bow:

Thanks Beech Talk :D

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2020, 07:58 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7246
Company: Jet Acquisitions
People keep saying Other Forums :) What other Forums? :shrug:
Haven't Been on Glock Talk, (first forum) for Me for a Dozen Years
Ford Truck Enthusiasts, hardly ever went there :eek:

Not much of a Face Booker, (comes in Handy for Grandkid Photos, find a Few Friends)

First aircraft Forum, was Pilots of America, it was OK...........Then along came this Fellow, who'd been kicked off of BT..........his Name?.....Ben Prusinski, he was really Bitchin about being Kicked off of BT :eek: Not much good to say about You Folks :lol:

I had to find out what BT was All about :shrug: I'm sure a Few Folks would prefer that I disappear :bugeye:.................This Group?...........Smartest, most Passionate, most Fun Group of Folks on the Planet :bow:

Thanks Beech Talk :D

Sidney, not a single person wants to see you disappear.

In fact we’re working on a tv show and you’ll be our star.

You are our “Emoji King”

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2020, 08:14 

Post Likes: +8745
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*

Count me as another person who is grateful for the COVID threads here!

If I had to sift through the regular news and think critically about every single thing to come across the wire, it would be exhausting and I would still be less informed.

Count me in too as a big fan of the ongoing civility of BT- ongoing though not always perfect :peace:

Also count me in as a fan of the "likes" system, because it serves as an efficient way for us to say thank you to the people who have written some of the most informative posts, the posts with content that I'd be hard pressed to learn via the regular news.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2020, 08:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +11836
Company: ? Most always. I like people.
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36

Count me as another person who is grateful for the COVID threads here!

If I had to sift through the regular news and think critically about every single thing to come across the wire, it would be exhausting and I would still be less informed.

Count me in too as a big fan of the ongoing civility of BT- ongoing though not always perfect :peace:

Also count me in as a fan of the "likes" system, because it serves as an efficient way for us to say thank you to the people who have written some of the most informative posts, the posts with content that I'd be hard pressed to learn via the regular news.

Jim, big + on your like system post.

I especially "like" the fact that one can hover over the likes and see who liked or not.

That may seem odd in light of the fact that I use my phone 99% of the time and can not hover or see who liked.

I appreciate that feature not for my use, but rather for the fact that it holds people accountable, just like the requirement to use our real names, and the clear content of our posts.

I believe one of the strengths of BT is that people can't hide behind internet disguises and spew without any accountability. +++!

BNice

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2020, 10:20 

Post Likes: +2263
Aircraft: 1992 Bonanza A36
I support this move by Jeff and Jeff.

Three weeks ago I activated the Foe feature.

Two weeks ago I blocked the entire COVID-19 subforum.

Doing those things greatly increased my enjoyment of BT.

There are, unfortunately, a small handful of long-time BTers who troll, who bait, who demean, who seem to be here only to argue.

No matter how long they have been here, that behavior damages the experience for many of us.

BT is a unique place. It has changed my life with new experiences and new friends.

I applaud this active measure to protect it.

BT has cost me well over a million dollars and introduced me to new “friends” who continue to influence me to spend even more ....more than my wife does! It is a freaking dangerous place that has uprooted me and my family to a way different geography, and even forced me to have BT neighbors who’s surveillance ensures I don’t spend another non-aviation related dollar. Its a combination of mind control and Stepford Wives rolled into one. And I love it, need it and would be lost without it. Thanks for putting up with me, especially when I lose my sense of decorum. Thanks Jeff(s) for reeling us back in.

Kevin McNamara

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next