Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Website - Volo.Aero
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 12:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1298
Company: BeechTalk
Aircraft: Robinson R44
It's been a long time in the making, but today, the first day of 2017, Jeff and I are proud to announce a brand new forum website:

https://www.volo.aero

For years we have enjoyed the growth and diversity of membership at BeechTalk, but we always felt as if some of the discussion here would fit better at a more generic general aviation forum website.

Thus was born the idea for Volo... it is a place where discussion of pretty much anything that flies is both accepted and welcome! Airplanes of all types, helicopters, drones, powered parachutes, gliders... you name it. It's all fair game at Volo.

Also, you will note that we do not require the use of real names at Volo. We realize that may disappoint some people, and others will applaud it. In the end, Jeff and I felt like there was already a website with a real name requirement (this one!). If you would rather use a screen name than your real name, then Volo may be for you. You are, of course, also welcome to use your real name there if you prefer.

Lastly, many of you have wished for low user ids and charter member badges on BeechTalk. Well, that day has long passed, but you have a new opportunity for them at Volo. The earliest users that register for a new account and begin posting regularly will be granted Charter Member status.

So without further ado, we welcome one and all to register and join us on Volo. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Website - Volo.Aero
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 13:45 

Post Likes: +1033
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
Jeff and I are very excited about Volo.aero and hope that you all join us there, too.

If you were wondering, "Volo" translates to "to fly" (or "I fly") and, as such, we hope that Volo.aero serves the need for all those who take to flight in any type of craft. Volo should allow inclusion to a great diversity of members, including those that fly non-Beechcraft aircraft, helicopters, drones, and the like.

We have no intention of changing BeechTalk, but we hope that many of you also join us at Volo to spread your knowledge and love of aviation!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 19:08 

Post Likes: +15
Aircraft: none
Il Volo is also an Italian singing trio. They are not bad.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Volo

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 23:20 

Post Likes: +465
Aircraft: F8L Falco
If Volo is just being born today, 1/1/2017, why was the Welcome post dated 10/11/2016? :scratch:

George
(The curious one)

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 22:14 

Post Likes: +824
Aircraft: 1970 Bonanza A36TN
This is interesting. I completely understand the basis for the AirportNation site, but this one puzzles me. It seems to compete with BeechTalk and yet likely brings more of the stuff you guys don't like dealing with here to another site/headache? Must be a business case $$$ for it? Do you hope to move some of the problems here onto Volo? Just curious, and oblivious to the workings of the online world...

I have subscribed and curious how it goes.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 22:37 

Post Likes: +2091
Aircraft: 1967 Bonanza V35
Is politics discussion allowed? :duck:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 00:17 

Post Likes: +530
Aircraft: 182RG
Anybody tell Todd about it? :cheers:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 00:33 

Post Likes: +180
Aircraft: V35
Or Ben?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 00:53 

Post Likes: +4552
Company: In Transition
Aircraft: Planeless in RST
Volo
Volas
Volat
Volamus
Volatis
Volant

Volare is the verb
Volo means I fly.

Sorry, Jesuit classic education.....

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 00:55 

Post Likes: +665
Aircraft: A36
A great place for the Cirri, AStar, Moonpie, etc people to go...

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 06:10 

Post Likes: +1399
Aircraft: Mitsubishi MU-2B-40
Username Protected wrote:
This is interesting. I completely understand the basis for the AirportNation site, but this one puzzles me. It seems to compete with BeechTalk and yet likely brings more of the stuff you guys don't like dealing with here to another site/headache?

I agree. Pointless bifurcation of where I need to look for aviation conversation. One place is good, I don't have to repeat myself as often... :)

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 08:54 

Post Likes: +1033
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
This is interesting. I completely understand the basis for the AirportNation site, but this one puzzles me. It seems to compete with BeechTalk and yet likely brings more of the stuff you guys don't like dealing with here to another site/headache? Must be a business case $$$ for it? Do you hope to move some of the problems here onto Volo? Just curious, and oblivious to the workings of the online world...

I have subscribed and curious how it goes.
Honestly, we never envisioned BeechTalk becoming a destination for non-Beechcraft owners. Over the years, we have been approached to add several different type-specific forums at BeechTalk, but each time it just seems to water down "Beech"Talk.

We recognize that we have a lot of non-Beech participation here (heck, we had to add Brand X forum just to house some of it). We decided that rather than change BeechTalk to now include all of the non-Beech need, we would create a more broad (and inclusive) site for the other types of fixed wing aircraft and expand it to include rotorcraft and drone.

Volo will allow a greater diversity of participation and will permit BeechTalk to remain a bit more focused on Beech.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 10:19 

Post Likes: +12213
Aircraft: Cessna 310i
Volo will allow a greater diversity of participation and will permit BeechTalk to remain a bit more focused on Beech.

I hope it works out as envisioned.

But I think the BeechTalk Beech-focus horse has left the barn (or the hangar :eek: ). There are Cub, Aerostar, and even Cessna owners around here. :bugeye:

For me (a former but not current Beech owner), it's hard to imagine finding the time to stay up with another forum besides BT, but I know that many others will do that. And, I would think that many non-BT members will become tied into volo like all of us here are tied into BT.

It should be good for aviation.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 15:17 

Post Likes: +876
Aircraft: SR22
BT has not been good for just finding Beech parts and getting tips on Beech-unique maintenance. It's benefited Beech and Brand X pilots equally in many other ways that are not type-specific.

If the Jeffs want this to be come a Beech forum, it's easy to do -- just require proof of current ownership/registration of a Beech aircraft. Volo might then get a much bigger push, as folks like me look elsewhere to share aviation information with a wider group, and getting the benefit of that wider knowledge base. If Volo succeeds, it might even pull away some of BT's Beech owners looking for something besides Beech-peculiar info.

Right now, BT is like Oshkosh - started for one purpose, morphed into something bigger. Why? Because they both were better than alternatives, and wound up attracting more than just Beech owners and kitbuilders, although they remain the loyal core as always. Is that a bad thing or a good thing? Should Oshkosh go back to its roots and allow only kitbuilders to participate? Surely the rest of us would simply go back to the Reading Air Show (or maybe Sun n Fun now) if that happened, and that's where all the action would be. Whatever BT and Oshkosh may become in the future, so long as there is GA there will always be a website where pilots of all kinds can go to day to day, and a location in the US where pilots will gather every year. The question for the Jeff's BT and EAA's Oshkosh is similar: what do they want to be?

I think an alternative for EAA and the Jeffs is not to create a competitive website/airshow, but rather allow what they've created to flourish as what it has become. And then, seeing a need to help those BT and Oshkosh were started for, create a smaller separate website/airshow catering to just those guys. They, after all, deserve credit for being the guys who gave BT and Oshkosh their reason for being.

In other words, should BT remain the place it has become, with Volo created to serve those who want a pure Beech forum uncluttered with discussions of global warming and the Cirrus parachute? Or should BT be shrunk to that description, with Volo taking all the rest? I expect the Jeffs have given this question some thought before deciding.

It's all beyond my paygrade, but I see bit of a puzzle looming for me personally. For now, it's wait and see.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 19:18 

Post Likes: +1949
Aircraft: BE-55
Hope for the best and hoping it doesn't pull anything from BT. I don't have time for another aviation forum when BT pretty much fills the bill. And the "Red Board" without real names? What a disaster.

But best of luck with it. And certainly some people will go to the airport forum to connect with locals.

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

uAvionix (banner)