Post Likes: +40
Aircraft: RT Duke, Husky Amph
Sounds like Indy Center to me

Post subject: Re: A Call From FSDO.
PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 10:26 

Post Likes: +9
Company: Ret. Corporate/Military Pilot
Aircraft: 35-C33
A quick peek at the Center map boundaries on charts gives you a clue when you should be handed off. If up with an approach control I use a 40 mile from tower rule and call if I had not heard from them. Over 46 years of flying, they have missed hand offs about a half dozen times and I have never been hollered at about checking in!

:pilot:

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 10:39 

Post Likes: +12
Aircraft: B200
Username Protected wrote:
Another gotcha is descending for an airport that does not have an RCO. Was inbound this weekend to an uncontrolled field on the West coast of Florida. Cleared to 2000, I noticed center was breaking up passing through 2300. I pulled the squelch and since we had a visual with good weather cancelled but you can easily get descended below their coverage.

I flew out of a field like this. Below 3k you couldn't talk to ATC. I learned about this early when I went missed (MA altitude was 2200 ft IIRC) and couldn't raise anybody. Finally an airliner relayed for me and I climbed to 4000. From that point on, anytime I was flying an actual approach into the base, I'd request an alternate MA altitude.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 11:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23
Aircraft: King Air.Lear.DA50
We just all need to have SELCAL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SELCAL

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 11:44 

Post Likes: +123
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: KA C90
Going into an uncontrolled field this weekend: Wisconsin Dells KDLL. If the weather looks at all iffy for departure, I ask Madison approach for a number in the air on the way in. That way I can call them on the ground when departing if need be for a clearance. Works much better than through LHM with a void time, especially, if anyone else is trying to get out and has the airspace tied up. Couple times they've gotten me right out when I would have waited a LONG time through FSS. In one case, they called a guy that had the airspace, but wasn't ready to depart yet. Told me if I departed north where I was and immediately turned east, I could depart right then, which I did.

Best,

Dave

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 12:20 

Post Likes: +318
Aircraft: A36TC (1/5th) :)
Going into an uncontrolled field this weekend: Wisconsin Dells KDLL. If the weather looks at all iffy for departure, I ask Madison approach for a number in the air on the way in. That way I can call them on the ground when departing if need be for a clearance. Works much better than through LHM with a void time, especially, if anyone else is trying to get out and has the airspace tied up.

Makes no sense that the direct numbers for the responsible approach facility are not published in the AFD. What difference does it make to the FAA whether the controller giving out the clearance talks to a lockmart employee or the pilot directly ?

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 12:37 

Post Likes: +101
Aircraft: K35, V35, D50A
Going into an uncontrolled field this weekend: Wisconsin Dells KDLL. If the weather looks at all iffy for departure, I ask Madison approach for a number in the air on the way in. That way I can call them on the ground when departing if need be for a clearance. Works much better than through LHM with a void time, especially, if anyone else is trying to get out and has the airspace tied up.

Makes no sense that the direct numbers for the responsible approach facility are not published in the AFD. What difference does it make to the FAA whether the controller giving out the clearance talks to a lockmart employee or the pilot directly ?
It's not a big deal if someone prank calls a watch supervisor (I think those are published, and I give them out routinely), but I don't want a number published that could have a busy controller dealing with some nut job. The phone numbers are tied to sector numbers, so we can't just change a number if we have issues. We can only disable it. My guys will give a pilot their direct number over the radio to help expedite things, but there's less risk in that.

IIRC, at Kansas City Center most sectors did not have that direct-dial capability enabled. I'd sometimes field a call from a pilot, and then hand a cordless phone to the controller. A little more awkward, like using your cellphone in the plane while wearing a headset. Either way, it's a useful tool.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 12:42 

Post Likes: +280
Aircraft: Aerostar 602P/700

It was invented after 1950. The FAA will not be able to implement it.

Tim

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 14:46 

Post Likes: +123
Company: Real Estate development
Aircraft: KA C90
I don't think I've ever had a controller not give me a number when I've asked. It can make a very big difference if trying to get out in bad weather as far as how long airspace is tied up or open. More than once I've asked and had them move some things around for me. Of course, if someone's on an approach that won't work. When I call, I tell them it's King Air XXX ready to depart XXXX. That way they know I'm a pilot and ready to go. Wouldn't hurt to call ahead of actually starting engines if it looks as if there could be a delay. VFR or decent ceilings, I just depart and call in the air.
In the last example I gave, airspace would have been tied up by anther fella at an airport about 20 miles away who had been given a clearance and void time. Madison called him and asked if he was ready to depart and he answered it would be several minutes. They told him I was ready to depart and asked if he'd stand by. He agreed. When I left the frequency, he still hadn't departed. With FSS I would have been sitting wondering when he'd depart.

Best,

Dave

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 15:11 

Post Likes: +29

It was invented after 1950. The FAA will not be able to implement it.

Tim

I am not sure anybody uses SELCAL or ATSCAL anymore.

My company was probably one of the last majors to fully equip with ACARS and with that we stopped using SELCAL.

SELCAL required the number two radio be tuned to a company frequency at all times so they could call us and the airplane had to be equipped with a DTMF microphone that could generate telephone audio signals in order to ping the company and establish communication.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 16:52 

Post Likes: +280
Aircraft: Aerostar 602P/700
I don't think I've ever had a controller not give me a number when I've asked. It can make a very big difference if trying to get out in bad weather as far as how long airspace is tied up or open. More than once I've asked and had them move some things around for me. Of course, if someone's on an approach that won't work. When I call, I tell them it's King Air XXX ready to depart XXXX. That way they know I'm a pilot and ready to go. Wouldn't hurt to call ahead of actually starting engines if it looks as if there could be a delay. VFR or decent ceilings, I just depart and call in the air.
In the last example I gave, airspace would have been tied up by anther fella at an airport about 20 miles away who had been given a clearance and void time. Madison called him and asked if he was ready to depart and he answered it would be several minutes. They told him I was ready to depart and asked if he'd stand by. He agreed. When I left the frequency, he still hadn't departed. With FSS I would have been sitting wondering when he'd depart.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

Indy Center and Atlanta Center have recently both told me they are no longer allowed to give out a number for clearance pickup. You are "required" to call FSS. Both have also stated there is a number you can call to cancel after you land but it no longer rings direct to them...

A pain in the rear.

Tim

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 17:28 

Post Likes: +75
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: TN IO550 V35B
I've used the national clearance delivery number a few times. They put you on a weird conference call between you, the briefer and the ATC facility.

Honestly, there is a much better way to do this. LMFS has my phone number linked to my airplane. All of my account data pops up on their screen when I call in automatically.

Obviously, depending on my departure point, they have some kind of lookup table linked to the responsible ATC facility. Why not just give me an option to "press 2 for ATC clearance", and it will pass my call direct to the facility. No phone number required.

Best,
Rich

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 20:32 

Post Likes: +12
Aircraft: B200
The Nat'l C/D number is darn-near worthless. Patient loaded, ready to go, we waited 20 min and got transferred 4 times before getting released. It was an absolute cluster.

PostPosted: 23 May 2013, 10:19 

Aircraft: Renter for now
Nope, there are still supplemental carriers using SELCAL. I'm still waiting for ACARS. :sad:

I am not sure anybody uses SELCAL or ATSCAL anymore.

My company was probably one of the last majors to fully equip with ACARS and with that we stopped using SELCAL.

SELCAL required the number two radio be tuned to a company frequency at all times so they could call us and the airplane had to be equipped with a DTMF microphone that could generate telephone audio signals in order to ping the company and establish communication.[/quote]

PostPosted: 23 May 2013, 14:18 

Post Likes: +29
Nope, there are still supplemental carriers using SELCAL. I'm still waiting for ACARS. :sad:

Do you guys have a company network of ground stations or do you use Airinc or SanFrancisco/Atlanta radio?

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next