banner
banner

01 Aug 2014, 09:48 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Beechcraft Corporation

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Wing bolts -- to replace or not to replace...
PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 14:19 

Post Likes: +415
Aircraft: Vans RV-6
At the ABS Service Clinic in February, I was asked how old my wing bolts were, and I didn't know the answer at that time. It was stated as a fact that "they should be replaced at least every 20 years". Later, I find that mine were replaced in 1990....yes, 20 years...

In doing a search here on BeechTalk, I found a post from John Collins in March 2008, responding to a question about using a Beech Service Center for doing a pre-buy:

Quote:
A Beech Service Center will usually not perform a "pre-buy", just an annual. They will list wing bolts as a required SB and may require a prop or engine be overhauled because it is beyond TBO (for example a prop is beyond TBO if it is 5 or 6 years since overhaul or an engine if it is over 12 years since overhaul). There has never ever been a report of a wing bolt failure in the 60 year history of the Bonanza.

I am pretty anal when it comes to maintaining my own airplane, but my wing bolts have no sign of corrosion and are 40 years old. I personally think it is a waste of money to replace them. Others can differ.

My A&P / IA says that there were some wing bolt failures in King Airs back in the 80s, but also says he's never heard of one in a Bonanza or Baron.

So, IF THERE IS NO CORROSION, does anyone here recommmend replacing these $2000 bolt-sets at a certain time interval? If so, why?

Post subject: Re: Wing bolts -- to replace or not to replace...
PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 14:41 

Post Likes: +30
Aircraft: 1962 Debonair B33
I have been to the ABS service clinics a couple times and have never been asked about wing bolts or had anyone suggest that they should be replaced.

On my first annual after purchase, I did have the wing bolts removed, magnafluxed, and reinstalled.

It is somewhat unnerving when you first learn that there are just four bolts holding on the wings. But I believe it is true that there have never been any wing bolt failures in Bonanzas.

You can literally rip the wings off a Bonanza without breaking the bolts, as evidenced by the recent events in Boulder.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 14:46 

Aircraft: BONANZA J35
Flew a Merlin IIB back inthe 80s it had developed a strange vibration and I took it to Memphis Aero to check and fix. Turns out the wing bolts had streched (no corrosion or damge) but it allowed wings to move slightly causing strange vibrations. Replaced bolts and all was well well. Wheeeew

Kent

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 15:15 

Post Likes: +354
Company: M.B. Kahn Construction Co.
Aircraft: 2003 Bonanza A36
Mine have been changed twice in the 79 and never in the 2002. I suspect I will not change them again. Waste of money, IMO. That's a fair amount of avgas, new engine monitor or good start on a GNS 420W

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 19:34 

Aircraft: J-35 Bonanza
I kind of agree with the "no corrosion, no need to replace" idea.........all else being ok.

Make sure you check your wing bolt bathtub fittings often to ensure the drain holes are clear. I usually run a piece of safety wire down the drain holes occasionally.

I'm not sure (without checking) if there is a service bulletin for this called out time interval bolt replacement. If so, your mechanic will recommend the same for CYA purposes (rightfully so), but for Part 91 operations, you do not have to comply with service bulletins and may reject such action.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 20:11 

Post Likes: +12
In Oz we are required to replace the wing bolts every 15 yrs and remove and magnaflux them every 5 yrs in between.

I had the wing bolts replaced in the V35B a couple of years ago. Imagine our surprise to find that the bolts installed at that time were in the wrong way round - with the long bolts packed with washers and the short bolts held by only a couple of threads.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 21:40 

Post Likes: +57
Company: American Bonanza Society
Aircraft: A36
Correct, there has never been a reported accident resulting from failure of the wing bolts in Bonanzas, Debonairs, Barons or Travel Airs.

The wing bolt inspection/replacement schedule is not a service bulletin, it's in the Beech maintenance (shop) manual. You're correct that it is not listed as a "Limitation," and therefore is is not mandatory for Part 91 operators in the U.S. (In fact, there is nothing labeled as a "Limitation" section in the Beech maintenance manuals for Bonanzas, Debonairs, Barons or Travel Airs). U.S. FARs only require compliance with inspection or replacement intervals if they are in the Type Certificate Data Sheet, an FAA Airworthiness Directive, or a "Limitation" in a manufacturer's document such as the POH or the maintenance manual.

Non-U.S. regulatory agencies often make compliance mandatory (including CASA in Australia). Compliance with manufacturers' recommendations is required under the insurance contract of several large FBO chains in the U.S., and they will not write a return-to-service endorsement until the inspection is complete if the recommended time for inspection or replacement has passed. So check on the shop's policy before you drop your airplane off for annual or paint or an avionics upgrade, or any service that'll require a return-to-service endorsement in the logbook.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 22:00 

Post Likes: +5
Company: prime concrete const.
Aircraft: be-33
Username Protected wrote:
I kind of agree with the "no corrosion, no need to replace" idea.........all else being ok.

Make sure you check your wing bolt bathtub fittings often to ensure the drain holes are clear. I usually run a piece of safety wire down the drain holes occasionally.

I'm not sure (without checking) if there is a service bulletin for this called out time interval bolt replacement. If so, your mechanic will recommend the same for CYA purposes (rightfully so), but for Part 91 operations, you do not have to comply with service bulletins and may reject such action.

i was told to never use wire to clean the bathtub fitting holes.it will scratch the primer off,and then corrosion will set in.i use a plastic spray tube,the ones you put in a aerosol can spray tip,like wd 40.cant scratch the metal with those....

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 22:41 

Aircraft: BONANZA J35
i go buy a wendys milkshake and use the straw

Kent

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 22:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +2
Company: ROBERTS COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Aircraft: 1959 Travel Air B-95
IIRC, when I bought 47WC it was about the same money to replace or have the five year required look (Magnaflux). I opted for new just so that I knew where I was starting.

Last edited on 03 May 2010, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 23:15 

Post Likes: +30
Aircraft: 1962 Debonair B33
Username Protected wrote:
In Oz we are required to replace the wing bolts every 15 yrs and remove and magnaflux them every 5 yrs in between.

I had the wing bolts replaced in the V35B a couple of years ago. Imagine our surprise to find that the bolts installed at that time were in the wrong way round - with the long bolts packed with washers and the short bolts held by only a couple of threads.

Perfect reason NOT to keep messing with them.

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 00:48 

Post Likes: +15
Aircraft: B36TC
Re did mine this year per ABS service clinic advice. Didn't do it for about 6 months after the clinic and I was always thinking, "hmmmm wingbolts" while flying. I gotta say now I have warm and fuzzys with new bolts in a 48 year old airplane but that's just me.

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 05:46 

Post Likes: +207
Aircraft: A36TC (1/5th) :)
With all that inspecting and magnafluxing going on, has anyone ever found a cracked bolt ? Unless they are subject to some bending moment, I would find it suprising to find a fatigue issue in a steel bolt.

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 08:30 

Post Likes: +133
Company: Tri-City Chrysler Kia
Aircraft: 1965 Bonanza S35
We talked about this on my "Annual Thread" earlier this year. Paul McCracken was invaluable on this as was the folks @ ABS. Bottom line is.... The bolts do not have to be inspected or replaced on our Bo's. It's my understanding that there is a requirement on the KingAirs but not our Bonanzas.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43896&hilit=another+dreaded+annual+thread

"TRUTH is AUTHORITY..... Authority is not Truth"

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 09:18 

Post Likes: +89
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza F33A
For those that have them magnafluxed, how do you pull all of them without affecting the angle of incidence - pull only half at a time?

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next